Jump to content
RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Sata Errors on HP Microserver Gen8

Recommended Posts


Hi there,
I hope this topic fits here just right.
So a few days ago, I moved my Microserver Gen8 to a friend's place and resetted it.
When we set it up with new disks, the raid-creation in OpenMediaVault (Debian 9.6) failed.
`smartctl` tests passed just fine though and vendor-tools also didn't report any drive errors.
What happened?
- I start the Raid creation via `mdadm` and after a while (random blocks and times), it fails and the second disk seems to fail (e.g. sda and sdb are creating a raid, then sdb gets "kicked out" and reread as e.g. sdd, sometimes even with only a few GB of space instead of 3TB).
I tried attaching the second disk on ata2 and ata3, but it keeps failing. The one on ata1 works just fine though.
I tried different disks and vendors, but get the same results.
There are some errors in `dmesg`, but I don't know what they mean. I pasted them here: https://pastebin.com/raw/XASQJ6cy

What I did here: I stopped the raid to re-create it, but then didn't do anything for a while and the error still came up.

Can someone help me with this? (As a wild guess, I'd say that somethings wrong with the SATA connections at least on ata2 and ata3).

Thanks in advance :)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

How are you booting OM? Do you have the BIOS set to AHCI? It's a good idea to check connections after moving a system. I would unplug and reconnect the SATA connection at the system board.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

OMV is on a SSD in the ODD slot, with GRUB pointing there from the internal SD-Card-Slot.
BIOS is set to AHCI enabled, yes.
OK, I will try to check the connections as soon as I am back home... never really dismantled the whole thing, so I hope it's not too hard.

Anything else I could check there to verify this? It'd be weird if it's the connection, because the HDDs were partially working. I mean, they were detected by BIOS and the OS and I could use them to some extend.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

What drives have you tried? Did these work in your previous setup?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

The first time I tried and it failed, it were 2 brand new Seagate 3TB. That time I thought it was one of the drives that failed and replaced it with another brand new Seagate 3TB. That failed as well. Now I put in the 2 drives from my previous setup (where they worked fine for almost 2 years) and it failed as well.
An hour ago, I dismantled the server, checked all the connections, cleaned off the dust and reset the NVRAM via the maintenance switch.
Now I put in the two old drives again, but in a different order and started creating a Raid1 again... by now it reached 13% resync... let's hope for the best :)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • Gulftown
      By Gulftown
      As I have decided to make some improvements on my afermarket fan controller I am trying to try implementing thermal control or mobo PWM control of additional fans, but before that I'm in a great need to inderstand how much fan count the controller should be ready to support. As this forum doesn't support polls I have nothing to do but ask you to reply on this topic.
      What I would be thankful to know:
      1. How many fans have you installed in your Microserver.
      2. What fans do you use (size, 3/4-pin connector) and where are they located, also what are they cooling.
      3. What way do you power these fans?
      Thank you in advance for your feedback!
    • Sokoban
      By Sokoban
      My HP Proliant Microserver Gen 8 won't install HP Tools when I have running HP Smart Update Manager. 
      even when I have trying to install via Intelligent Provising, Windows Server 2019.
      Se image below 🙂 That's I missing.. ;-(

    • Karazzi
      By Karazzi
      Hi everyone.
      New to this forum.
      I have a gen8 microserver running at home, where I have installed an SSD in the ODD sata slot. On the SSD I have installed Ubuntu Server 18.04.
      I have then created a logical volume witht the raid controller and can then boot to the SSD. So far so good.
      My problem emerges when I reboot the system. The logical volume disapears and it gives the error: "boot logical drive is configured but is missing or offline".
      I then have to go into the utility and reconfigure the logical volume. Kind of annoying, when trying to run a headless setup.

  • Create New...