RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
pksparks

Vpn issue 2016 essentials with win7 client

pksparks

Hi, 

been reading through this forum, and also 2012 r2 essentials, but somehow i am not getting my vpn to work

my configuration:

gen8 with 2 nics connected and ilo4 nic connected. Nic 1 is connected to internet, nic 2 to my internal network

ip adresses:

nic 1: 192.168.2.200, with gateway

nic 2: 192.168.10.229, no gateway

ilo: 192.168.10.37

nic 1 is connected to 4g router. Portforwardings for ports 80, 443, 1723 to ip 192.168.2.200

after installation of server 2016e activated a remotewebaccess.com adress at microsoft, and installed remotewebacces and vpn.

remotewebacces with /remote option is working

my windows 7 laptop is in the domain of my server, client connector installed, and backup etc working.

when i am at my office, or connected via a hotspot of my iphone, i want to make a vpn connection.

everytime i start this, i see shortly that username and login are checked, but that is it, connection stops.

i know i am overlooking something, but as allways, the longer you look, less change of finding it.

any suggestions?. No need to hurry, i can only test this again on saturday.😩😏. Have to work tomorrow.

any help is appreciated

rgds

Patrick

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• TwoWheels
      By TwoWheels
      I'll try to give a l the pertainent details.
      I have a Lenovo Flex 4 1580 that came with a 512GB Liteon SSD. That drive failed, and I'm trying to replace it with a 1TB Sandisk SSD.
      I used network PE boot to launch the restore, and then used ctrl-alt-shift to run diskpart. In diskpart, I created the two partitions on the existing drive, a 1GB WINRE_DRV partition and the remainder of the disk (I think) as a primary NTFS partition (which came out to 930GB approx).
      After restoring 100% (0% remaining, more precisely), it timed out and gave this error:
      [08/19/2019 00:33:04 664] RestoreHelper::FixBootBlock: fixing boot block [08/19/2019 00:33:04 664] RestoreHelper::ExtendVolume: extending the volume [08/19/2019 00:33:27 664] Restoring ESP [08/19/2019 00:33:27 664] existing offset: 0x0, size: 0x4400 [08/19/2019 00:33:27 664] existing offset: 0x4400, size: 0xfbc00 [08/19/2019 00:33:27 664] existing offset: 0x100000, size: 0x6400000 [08/19/2019 00:33:27 664] existing offset: 0x6500000, size: 0x8000000 [08/19/2019 00:33:27 664] existing offset: 0xe500000, size: 0xe891900000 [08/19/2019 00:33:27 664] Found existing volume [08/19/2019 00:33:27 664] existing offset: 0xe89fe00000, size: 0x41000000 [08/19/2019 00:33:27 664] existing offset: 0xe8e0e00000, size: 0x1fbe00 [08/19/2019 00:33:27 664] FormatPartitionEsp called for disk \\?\PhysicalDrive0 [08/19/2019 00:33:27 664] Formatting ESP partition at offset 0x8100000 [08/19/2019 00:33:27 664] ERROR: FormatPartitionEx failed, error 0x80042405 [08/19/2019 00:33:27 664] ERROR: FormatPartitionEsp failed, error 0x80042405 [08/19/2019 00:33:27 664] RestoreHelper::T_Restore: failed to restore ESP, error 0x80042405 [08/19/2019 00:33:27 664] RestoreHelper::T_Restore: restore complete with return value 536870914 [08/19/2019 00:33:27 664] ERROR: CDialog_Restore::Completed failed, HR=0x80070002 (at func: CDialog_Restore::Completed, admin\serveressentials\backup\pc\bmr\restorewizard\dialog_restore.cpp (97) I tried the instructions in Client BMR failed for UEFI machine in advanced mode , but the calculation in powershell yielded a non-integer, negative number of -2048.74120616913. 
      Based on the article, I'm assuming that instead of padding, I need to reduce the size of SOMETHING by 2GB, but I'm not clear how to do that so it lands on precisely the same address, particularly because of my fractional results from the powershell calculation.

Is there a way to determine the EXACT sizes for the WINRE_DRV, Windows, EFI, and MSR partitions from the backup itself. It seems odd that it handles what should be a straightforward restore so poorly (and manually). the Restore UI provides "human readable" sizes, but what is really needed are exact sizes in MB blocks, apparently.

Thanks for your assistance. This was my primary client machine and I really need it back!

• nrf
      By nrf
      A recent change in my ISP setup forced me to deal with an issue I have been keeping on the back burner. A while back, I had to change to a new VPN client for work. I had difficulty connecting as it told me a firewall must be blocking IPSEC or UDP. Blaming it on the router I had circled thru several with some initial success but ultimately failure. Having no choice now, I have narrowed it down to my network switch. the VPN is IPsec to a cisco vpn server (port 4500 and all).

Bottom line, with switches like GS108Tv2 and GS-1100-5 between my work pc and router (currently Sophos UTM 9) no problem. But my fancy tplink t1600g-28ts, no go. it validates the password ok but can't connect the vpn itself. 

Any seasoned veterans out there have an idea how this switch could be messing it up?
      thanks in advance!
      nrf
    • lordcroci
      By lordcroci
      Hi there!
      I'm new around here, looked for the presentation thread but haven't found any! 
      Anyway I hope to be able to contribute (as far as my newbie's knowledge will be useful )....

Speaking about what I'm trying to do, I have this amazing microserver gen8, on which I have 2 3tb wd red as storage and an ocz 125gb ssd on 5° port.. Installed a couple of days ago mr. PROXMOX (I'm a complete newbie to it too ) and configured the xpenology 6.0 that runs amazingly!
      Now.. I'm just wondering which is the best option to configure a vpn (possibily openvpn) and from my inexperience I found a couple of options:
      - try a container with turnkey debian 8 OpenVPN
      - install ubuntu on a VM and setup openvpn
      - try the vpn server on xpenology

or the least pleasurable
      - install openvpn on my windows 10 pc and leave it turned on in way to access the microserver through vpn.. 
      What do you think is better to do? Considering that I am a real noob and will need some guide or some tutorial (already googled something and Have found a lot of material on the openvpn site.. but honestly can't find so much about proxmox and vpn)

PS: sorry for my english, but I'm italian and I'm still learning!

thanks a lot!
      Lordcroci
    • Camperdownfamily
      By Camperdownfamily
      I used to run a Win Home Server V1, then an Amahi Home Server and now I have built a Home Server based on Win 10 Pro.

I have got everything running really well except for the VPN for remote access.  For some weird reason, I can connect remotely to my Home Server by VPN and it gives me an IP address on the home network ok, but I can't see, access or ping the Home Server itself - yet I can access every other piece of kit connected to the home network (printer, router, other PCs, etc.) through the VPN by entering their IP address into my browser or by pinging them through the command line Ping command with their IP address.

It's as though, by providing access the the rest of the network, the Home Server has become invisible to itself and so I can't access anything on it.

I have used the built-in Windows VPN on Win 10 Pro, rather than using a third party package.  I have been using Terry Walsh's "How to Build a Windows 10 Pro Home Server" e-book which has been excellent so far, except that on this, it tells you how to set up the VPN and then just says - go ahead and connect to your remote Home Server - but doesn't address any potential problems - like this one.

Is this something anyone has seen before?  Any ideas what the problem could be?
    • TheFreaker86
      By TheFreaker86
      Hallo!
      I am new here. I am a little desperate because despite the fact my job is IT I don't get it to work. My homeserver is running Server 2012 R2 Essentials and because somehow the AD and file shares did not work properly anymore I decided to reinstall the OS from scratch. After reinstallation I reconfigured anywhere access and reobtained my remotewebaccess.com-subdomain which worked fine except for the the remotedesktopgateway did not get the certificate properly which I fixed with this guide here. This step was not necessary when I installed the OS some years ago for the first time.

Up until the first forced reconnect from my ISP the IP-adress of my router matched with the one in the DNS-record. But after that it did not refresh anymore. The error message in the Dashboard says (I hope this matches the english version of the message): The dynamic DNS information cannot be updated. Details to this message says furthermore: The DNS-information cannot be updated because no connection to the domain name provider can not be established. Contact your domain name provider. And after the lifespan of the DNS-record expires additionally the error message appears that the domain name can not be resolved...Unsurprisingly.

The weird thing is that DynDNS for AnywhereAccess/RemoteWebAccess has never been an issue with the old and now overwritten OS installation. In desparation I made a bare metal recovery from the old OS installation to check the behaviour of DynDNS which worked still just fine. A second WS2012R2E-installation inside a VM was a bit contradictory. The original remotewebaccess.com-domain could not be reinstated but a new one registered. Though I haven't checked if the new domain can update the DNS-record.

Now with the once again reinstalled OS DynDNS acts as described above. Port forwarding (Port 443) on my router has been set up for testing purposes both via UPnP and after that manually. Didn't matter before reinstallation because it worked both ways. I deliberately left out Port 80 for security reasons.

I have searched through the eventlog and the Internet, to no avail. The only remotely useful hint was to change the Windows Live-password had no effect. And the Eventlog is so overwhelmingly packed with events of any kind I also ran several times the repair wizard from the Dashboard with always the same error. I even was unable to release my subdomain through the configuration wizard.

I can imagine that the public certificate from GoDaddy needs to be imported somewhere for authentication to make DNS-record updates possible. But that would make the Windows Live-login obsolete.

Has someone any advice how I can get the DynDNS-service back up running? Or where I have to search for more detailed hints for the cause? I have already considered that it is not a "broken service" of the OS but rather an external issue beyond my control (which suggests the error message). But that contradicts the fact that the recovered installation was able to update the external DNS-record. If the cause is really external who is the correct contact? GoDaddy or Microsoft?

Edit: Maybe do I miss some windows updates or update rollups that do not come through Windows Update? I have updated the OS only via the OS-internal Windows Update function and right after installation some with wsusoffline.