RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Home Theatre PC

joem

I have a couple of customers that want a HTPC and I don't want to build them and support them. Are there any good one's I could buy for them out there off the shelf or Newegg? They want to stream and also download movies to the hard disk. It should be an HTPC that can possibly fit on the back of their HD TV. A hand held remote recommendation would be appreciated also. Thanks.

Well there is the Revo AR3700.

You can read more at revohtpc.com The Dell Zino is highly rated too for a small form factor HTPC.

The Revo doesn't have an optical drive, but can mount on the back of an HTPC and I believe the mount is included.

The Zino doesn't mount, but has an optical drive. This remote

is also highly regarded.

I just purchased the Zino, mainly because of the optical drive and I got a good deal on it.

The Revo is also a good choice.

Edited by awraynor

It's still enroute via UPS. Let you know after I get it. My TV is only 720p on

a gigabit home network, hope that helps.

I have a couple of customers that want a HTPC and I don't want to build them and support them. Are there any good one's I could buy for them out there off the shelf or Newegg? They want to stream and also download movies to the hard disk. It should be an HTPC that can possibly fit on the back of their HD TV. A hand held remote recommendation would be appreciated also. Thanks.

I have 2 Lenovo Q150 HTPCs and will likely buy 2 more. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883108321

A summary of my setup is as follows: WHS on HP MSS EX475 w/ 2GB RAM. All DVD/BDs, Home Movies, Photos, and Music resides on the WHS box and the Q150s (along w/ several other PCs in the house) can pull media from it using W7 Media Center. I have an HD HomeRun for live TV, which is used by all PCs. With the Q150s, I control them w/ Harmony Remotes after connecting a Media Center USB IR Receiver dongle to them. The Q150s connect via HDMI to my receivers.

I've had these since July and am very happy with them. Here are the only negatives that I've experienced:

*HD Netflix seems to stutter when selecting a random HD movie from Netflix. However, if the HD movie is in the "Instant Queue", it seems to work fine :unsure: .

*I have difficulty playing Avatar blu-ray from my .iso backup on my WHS. Since I can play other Blu-rays on the Q150, I'm not entirely convinced that this is due to the Q150. It took quite a bit of tweaking to get Avatar to play on my "Main" fully-powered HTPC.

Other observations worth noting:

*These PCs come with relatively little "bloat ware" so they run relatively flawlessly/efficiently.

*They are ultra-quiet. One is in the bedroom and we never notice it, even at night.

*They come with a wireless handheld RF keyboard, which is a good size for the times when you need to tweak something--better than a large keyboard/mouse/trackpad for a TV viewing location IMO.

*They Q150 does NOT have a built-in DVD/BD drive---not a problem for me as I back up my discs from my PC and store them on the server for easy access via My Movies/Media Center.

*I've seen these for $335 recently w/ free shipping---hard to imagine beating that price for the functionality.

In summary, as an HTPC, you barely realize it's there--it's just an interface on a TV---which is probably as strong a compliment as I can give.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard that HD 1080P video stutters with the Zino. Did you find that so?

I have the Zino HD and have no problems with stutter. I think it really depends on your hardware and your network. I have 4GB of RAM and an Intel I5 in mine. I am also hard wired with a gigabit connection. I stream HD content with no problem. The remote I use and love is the Logitech diNovo Mini. It is a little pricey, but it uses bluetooth and has much better range than my previous remotes. You can check it out here - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011FOOI2/ref=oss_product

• 3 weeks later...