RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Cloud Backup

customator

All

I am a longtime listener but a newbie on the forum. I know that the guys on the show have talked about WHS backup a number of times but I am confused about the options and what would be considered best practices.

At risk of seeming completely stupid, can I get some feedback on this subject? I would like to find out what people are doing for homes and businesses.

I am considering CloudBerry and S3 as my goto for both locations. Any suggestions?

Customator

All

I am a longtime listener but a newbie on the forum. I know that the guys on the show have talked about WHS backup a number of times but I am confused about the options and what would be considered best practices.

At risk of seeming completely stupid, can I get some feedback on this subject? I would like to find out what people are doing for homes and businesses.

I am considering CloudBerry and S3 as my goto for both locations. Any suggestions?

Customator

My current off-site backup solution for my WHS is Crashplan.

Although not officially supported, they do give instructions on how to install the client on your WHS.

I also use Crashplan with their paid backup solution. Which is you backup to their server rather than a friend's. I am in the process of setting up my parents with Crashplan to backup to me, so for them it will be free.

So far, I have backed up almost 2TB of files.

@ga - if I set up my server here @work with Crashplan and my server @home to back up each other is their a fee for the software?

@ga - if I set up my server here @work with Crashplan and my server @home to back up each other is their a fee for the software?

As long as you don't use CrashPlans servers to store your backups, it's free.

I also use Crashplan with their paid backup solution. Which is you backup to their server rather than a friend's. I am in the process of setting up my parents with Crashplan to backup to me, so for them it will be free.

So far, I have backed up almost 2TB of files.

Guys

Thanks for that. CrashPlan looks like what I want to do. Do you use the Unlimited plan, The family plan or a Pro account? Also, is the a Home Server Plugin for it?

Guys

Thanks for that. CrashPlan looks like what I want to do. Do you use the Unlimited plan, The family plan or a Pro account? Also, is the a Home Server Plugin for it?

I have the Unlimited plan, and I'm running it on my WHS (since that's where all the data is anyway).

Also, i have the computers of my sister, girlfriend and my mothers backing up their data to my server.

There isn't WHS plugin, but they have posted instructions on how to install it on your WHS with RDP on their support site.

Edited by kermi

All

Customator

I am a big fan of Keepvault. It is a dedicated WHS add-in and handles backup your data realtime directly off of your server. It is very simple to setup and you can also use it for local backups. The only downside it is not free. There are other solutions out there but few that tie directly into WHS console which makes it nice to use. I have been using it for about 6 months now and it has saved my bacon once already.