Sign in to follow this  
Dave

ASUStor AS4004T 10Gbe NAS Review

Dave

ASUStor AS4004T NAS - Short and Sweet Review

AS4004T Spec Page - https://www.asustor.com/product/spec?p_id=57
$359 at NewEgg - https://fave.co/2EkJDKa

as.jpg

I think it's important to put the price of this box up front as I'm going to refer back to that often.  The ASUStor AS4004T is $359 and has a 10Gbe port on the back of it.  That is a tremendous value for anyone building out a 10Gb network right now.

Setup was very easy. Tool-less disk caddies and it will take the latest 14TB drives for an overall 56TB System.  All your favorites are here.  RAID 0, 1, 5, 6, 10, and JBOD.  I didn't see an option for SSD cacheing but that's a touchy subject on a 4 bay NAS.  If this was a 6 or 8 bay system it would absolutely have to be an option.

It looks fantastic.  Hey, that's important to me!  It's all plastic but that is not a big deal.  The disk caddies are all plastic and tool-less but seemed a little less refined than ones I have used before.  The LED's are nice.  I prefer their look over other systems that have external lighting.  You can control them in settings. Brightness, disabled, night mode, etc.

The CD install and English quick start guide were not as refined a process as I would like to see.

No URL to start the install process. App installed to folder named control center so was hard to find but it is the app that discovers the NAS on the LAN and shows you the details of it. Also allows to launch a browser to its IP address.

Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 2.06.58 PM.png

The setup process was guided and very easy.

• 1 click setup or custom setup
  • Name of NAS
  • Password
  • Time server
  • Link aggregation setup
  • DNS
  • Static IP assignment or DHCP
  • Raid level setting
  • Package installs
  • Starts the NAS UI

Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 2.10.03 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-11-10 at 2.20.56 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-11-10 at 2.21.08 PM.png

The user experience is most like any other NAS i've used with one exception.  It looks like an iPad and I don't like it!  I don't like having multiple screens of app icons. I don't want to "swipe" over to get to another icon.  You can adjust the size and look but I still didn't like it.

Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 3.41.59 PM.png

I would rather it look like a desktop but that is just my nit-picky wants.  However, all the apps seem to be very zippy.  No lag, no hesitation.  I liked that a lot! I can put up with the icon arrangement for that.

Having said that, the settings app and storage manager app is where you spend a lot of time and they both act and look the same as any other NAS!  You will not have to relearn anything.

How does it backup? That's the important part right? Here are the options I found.

• Remote Sync
  • FTP backup
  • Folder to Folder
  • External Disk - To and from.
  • Backup Now, schedule.
  • One Touch - Button on front, USB to NAS, or NAS to USB, configure and then go.
  • Cloud is only Amazon S3
  • There is a Sync app for computers to the NAS. Also, phones.

I was able to easily add an external USB3 HDD and create a scheduled backup routine from NAS to USB drive.  There was also an option to backup from the drive to the NAS and that can be handy at times.  The PC app was only a Sync app.  I would suggest finding a different option if you need to keep file history.  The ASUStor Backup Plan software looked good for file backups, changes, etc. but perhaps I missed the option of history.  I prefer the history changes be held on the NAS.

Cloud backup and sync options were abundant.

• Dropbox
  • OneDrive
  • Google
  • CrashPlan!
  • OwnCloud
  • NextCloud
  • Duplicati which is cool. This app allows you to encrypt and then store on cloud providers.

Plex? No!  It's an ARM processor and I'm assuming lower end. If you want to stream and transcode you will need a core processor or at least an intel processor of some strength on it.  You can find the Plex app in the app store under the beta tab. I'm not real sure how good its going to perform for you though.  If you are not transcoding or only need to provide minimal streams it may work ok.  I have a love/hate relationship with this app on NAS.  I don't typically push the app to its limits on the NAS so I would always say it works fine.  Then you have those that have 4 screens around a house and they try to push video to each one and it falls on its face.  I'll stick by my recommendation however.  If you want to stream a lot of video then build a NAS or a box for that task. Power!

Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 3.41.47 PM.png

I did find something that was awesome when it came to video files.  In the file explorer if you double click an MP4 it runs immediately in a preview  window.  I mean, BAM!  Click,  and then watch.   It's fast and that is nice when you are browsing for a video from a vacation or something like that.

Mobile Apps?  Yes, tons. I didn't try any.  I'm on a new Pixel 3 XL and didn't want to install them.  I assume, like many NAS apps, they are all mediocre at best, and you are better off using OneDrive or other options. Use these if you have to.

I didn't do speed tests. I looked up the costs of a 10Gig card and switch and decided I wasn't going to go there.  I could have returned it but I do enough returns already.  I did transfers and they all performed at or near any NAS I've used.  Reviewers that actually have 10GbE gear have said that the 10Gb port was not as fast as higher end gear and the 1Gb ports were comparable.  I'll leave it at that and remind you of the price.

Screen Shot 2018-12-15 at 11.30.17 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-12-15 at 11.30.02 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-12-15 at 11.29.14 AM.png

Conclusion

It's a low cost 10GbE alternative. It's not going to beat the speeds and features of the more expensive boxes that have 10Gb service however if you compare it to other typical 4 bay NAS units it compares quite nicely.  The differentiator is the 10Gb port.  It get's in you into the game without all the cost of comparable Synology, ReadyNAS, and QNAP systems.  I think this 10Gb port would be better served on a different processor but its price is hard to beat.  Don't buy it for Plex buy it for storage.  Four bays should be plenty for most everybody.   This is a good price for 4 bays regardless of the network ports on it.

Recommend? Yes. I would run this at my house.

TLDR - Four bay NAS. As fast as most on 1Gbe. Not as fast as more expensive 10Gbe but faster than 1Gbe. Plenty of backup options. Roll your own PC/Mac to NAS. Cloud Sync. Plex is Beta and not recommended on ARM. Tool-less. Good looking. Great price for a 10Gbe NAS.

More thoughts on RESET Podcast.

RESET 55 - ASUStor AS4004T 10Gbe NAS Review

Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 3.45.24 PM.png