RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gen8 compatibility with 10TB WD (white) drives?

3560freak

Hello, I was hoping for some additional insight to an issue that I am having with "shucked" 10TB WD White/Red disks.  Is anyone successfully using these 10TB drives in their Gen8 with the standard on-board controller?  I am having some issues that I believe are related to incompatibility of these drives and the standard controller/firmware.  I am currently on firmware (J06 11/02/2015) since I purchased this used and don't have a contract with HP to provide me with the current updates.

I am using the latest version of UnRaid (v6.6.6) and took advantage of Best Buy's black Friday deals on the WD EasyStore 10TB drives.  After extracting the drives and running the suggested UnRaid PreClear script (2 full passes) I started out by replacing the parity drive, which took a normal amount of time for a drive of that size to rebuild.  After having that success I began the process of preclearing the additional drives, with the plan of moving them over one at a time (allowing the data drive re-build).  The issue now is that the re-build of one single data drive is moving at a rate that estimates a completion time of 150+ days.  I am just hoping that other users of the Gen8 have tried this out with or without success so that I can stop beating my head against the wall.

Thank you for any assistance.

Well it seems that the same/similar issue was happening with the 8TB model.  This post is mostly geared toward the P222 card, but a few mentioned the issues on the B120i as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I just replaced all my drives in gen8 with 8TB white from WD Elements product line. FreeNAS so no raid card involved. No issues.