RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Western Digital Live Hub

jam3ohio

Guys--

I am looking to upgrade from streaming to the PS3 to something a bit more robust. I saw the Live and Live Hub from WD. Back in Episode 18 of BYOB, the consensus was this was an interesting streamer. Anyone with experience with one care to share impressions? I expect to be able to stream Win 7 Media Center recordings as well as DVD rips and MP4 files (.264/AAC) and was wondering if either of these was a good fit.

Thanks,

Jim

I have one of the WDTV Live Plus units in my basement for the kids. It's primarily used to allow them to easily watch Netflix and it does a very good job at that. My son is 8 and can search, find shows and que up programs for future viewing. I've streamed a few movies from my WHS to it and have not had any major problems. The unit you are looking at is obviously more sophisticated, but one good thing is that WD appears vested in the product and is updating them.

I didn't spend a lot of time with it, maybe I should have tested it more. But Paul Thurrot thoguht it was really a lot better than I gave it credit for. Check out his commentary on it.

Thanks for the link to Thurrott's article. I think I may buy one of these WD units as a streaming device and give it a spin. Appreciate the link.

Jim