RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Jason

Attempting to cut cord (TiVo)

Jason

Been a TiVo customer for MANY years. Have found they have the best and most seamless UX of any STB. Going to attempt their TiVo Bolt Vox OTA unit with an indoor antenna this weekend. Won’t cancel cable until this is wife tested and family approved.

Have put this project off until our children have gotten old enough to navigate other options, including Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. which they certainly have. Unfortunately without cable, they’ll be unable to watch their most popular Disney channels, Disney XD, etc. Not sure from where else they can be streamed without a cable subscription?

Assuming I’m able to get at least the basic, local network channels in HD, this will be the end of the road for cable in our house.

ShadowPeo

Disney is meant to be doing their own streaming service early next year IIRC

JROrtiz

I have a couple of the Roamio OTA units at my parent's place and they are extremely happy with them (which means I'm happy since I'm their tech support). 

• Like 1

Jason

Just used a Bolt OTA with a Winegard flat, amplified antenna and got crystal clear HD network channels. All I was hoping. While these indoor antennas are all eyesores, can now watch infrequent network TV for free and stream the rest.

Cord cutting certainly isn’t for the faint of heart. Depending on rest of family’s tolerance for pain, we may be resubscribing to cable again in future. Let’s hope not!

Jason

Success so far. Cancelled cable today. Liberating.

TiVo Bolt OTA with antenna working great for network TV DVRing. Disappointing that TiVo doesn’t support Hulu Live; I understand that may be a conflict of interest. Keeping my cablecard equipment in the event I do need to go crawling back to my cable provider though...

That’s not to say this will be an easy transition. Expect this to be quite an adjustment for our kids. Wife and I watch little to no TV. If anything, Netflix.