RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

FreeNAS on Gen8

Paulwarwicker

Must admit I hadn't seen that issue.  But then I'm not in any rush to upgrade to another FreeNAS bugfest.  Wonder if ixsystems will do much  about it.   

I think (hope!) they will fix it once they figure out what is wrong. It may be an upstream issue anyway because I can get similar installer issues with the 11.2 FreeBSD installer.

I had been waiting patiently for the GA release of 11.2. I was one of those quite happy poodling along with Corral but I had an issue which forced me onto 11.1.

-paul

I would propose to use XigmaNAS (former NAS4Free) instead of FreeNAS. I am using it since February 2017 with no issues so far. I am now with 11.2.0.4.6229, which is based on FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE to P5. So most probably the FreeNAS issue is not related to FreeBSD 11.2 code but is related to FreeNAS code itself.

Thanks, I might check that out in a VM. It has ZFS but the deal breaker for me is that it doesn't have Docker support as far as I can tell.

As mentioned, I also have problems running the 11.2 FreeBSD installer (BTX halted).

Just curious, do you have all 4 bays in use and/or boot from an SSD on the ODD SATA port?

-paul

12 hours ago, Paulwarwicker said:

Thanks, I might check that out in a VM. It has ZFS but the deal breaker for me is that it doesn't have Docker support as far as I can tell.

As mentioned, I also have problems running the 11.2 FreeBSD installer (BTX halted).

Just curious, do you have all 4 bays in use and/or boot from an SSD on the ODD SATA port?

-paul

No, I am using only two bays and my installation is "embedded", i.e. I am booting from USB stick to memory.

But in XigmaNAS forums at least one user reported that he uses Full RootOnZFS install. So you may wish to search the forums and ask there.

Paul,

There's no great leap forward from FreeNAS 11.1 to 11.2 as far as so-called docker support is concerned, other than they updated the rancheros base to 1.4.2 for newly created "Docker VM". 

If you're considering alternatives to FreeNAS, which functionality is more important to you: NAS (with zfs), or  Docker/Virtual Machine support?  

I'm okay with RancherOS. I have tinkered with that separately in a VM on a second Gen8.

As for your question, it would definitely be NAS with ZFS, but with Plex thrown into the mix. I'm not particularly looking to move away from FreeNAS and will just wait a little longer. No point in ditching what is a reasonably close fit for my current needs and has the potential to match much more. If they don't fix it, then I may reconsider.

The point of the original post was just to prevent retracing my steps which were to upgrade, hit the problems (as a few others have) followed by a downgrade to keep running.

-paul

Paul,

I first used FreeNAS 9.10 and messed around with iohyve and later iocage at the CLI.   I've never been sold on the idea of rancheros + rancherUI  just to use a couple of docker apps. Corral was dumped before I had really evaluated it, but it showed great promise.  Personally, I'd go the debian/ubuntu + docker + portainer route.  When you look at outstanding issues like this https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/28578 , it doesn't inspire confidence.

FreeNAS 11.1 has had a lot of hiccups, and too many bugs for my liking. FreeNAS 11.2 might get there, but looking at  the number of issues pushed to 11.2-U1  at https://redmine.ixsystems.com/versions/479 I'll be sticking with 11.1 for now. 

I had a quick look a NAS4Free (XigmaNAS), testing in virtualbox.  The RootOnZFS seems to work, but it's a community contribution and it's limited in many other areas compared to FreeNAS.  It wouldn't  be my next choice.  

Edited by PegLeg

i did it, without problems,

the only difference i see is that same Windows shares, with 11.1u6 speed was 108mb/s, with 11.2 now i see 80/90mb/s of speed on copy/paste procedure