RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
pksparks

Installing hp P222 in gen 8, replacing hp P212

pksparks

Hi,

it is a stormy weekend here, lots of rain, so i want to change some configurations in my gen8 with P212 smart array card

my configuration:

booting from odd bay 240 gb ssd 

in gen 8 bays 1 and 2  raid 2x 3 tb

bay 3 and 4 stand alone drives for server backup and client backups. All connected to b210

an external box for 4 drives, all raid 0 connected to p212 external port.

my changes include the following:

replace P212 by P222.

take connector from b210 and connect it to internal port P222

connect external connector to P222

connect ssd to b210 port 1 for higher speed.

questions i am asking myself:

a) will all arrays be recognized directly when connect to P222

b) will set boot from ssd, guess i have to look in setup for boot disk

c) can i add a second ssd, same size, and make it an raid 1 configuration, so port 1 and 2 from b210 are 1 boot disk?

rgds

Patrick

Sorry, When writing b210, i meant b120i

schoondoggy

I would check to see that all of your existing hardware and the P222 are all up to date with the latest firmware. Then be sure you have a clean backup. The P222 should pick up any HP RAID sets. You should review the Smart Array user guide to review the process to move arrays. The B120i should find the SSD and boot from it. Changing ports should not make a difference. Adding another SSD to make a RAID1 could be an issue. The B120i does not support RAID conversion, RAID0 to RAID1. That said, I think I tried it once a long time ago and it worked. However it is possible that creating the RAID1 will over write all of the data on the existing drive.

pksparks

Thanks Schoondoggy,

luckely i have a second gen8. I will install the p222 in that one, and see firmware version, and if needed updat it. The gen8 are both up to date.

i have read a lot this weekend in this forum, and it looks like do-able without much problems

if the ssd raid will be a problem, wel then i just have to do a reinstall of windows server 2016 essentials.

thanks again

Patrick

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• arefiev.dm
      By arefiev.dm
      Hello! I put P222 on my Gen8 server, but I can not use RAID6. Can someone share the key?
    • Bungow
      By Bungow
      Hello

I have a Micreoserver gen8 with a new P222 and 4 X 4TB WD red drives forming a raid6 array. The problem is i can hear a loud noise comming from HDD like a intense reading disk operation, but when disks suposly are idle. This happen periodicaly like each 15 minutos or so. I think this can be a checking disk operation from p222 raid card but is anoying and I'm not sure. Can you provide any hint to this?

Thank You
    • hornslee
      By hornslee
      Hello everyone and I am new to this forum.

I have my Gen8 and P222 running for over a year without any problem. I setup my P222 with 3T x 4 WD RED in Raid 5 mode. Recently, I noticed there is an error message for my P222 card. Please check the photos attached.

At first I didn't pay too much attention since it was not critical information. Now it has been more than a month, is there anything I can do to fix it? The disk performance has been decreased noticeably. 

Thanks in advance for any help

• kazoa
      By kazoa
      Hi all

I bought a HP Smart Array P222 Controller for my HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8.
      Operating System is ESXI 6.5.

How can I update the P222 Controller firmware using ESXI operating system?
      Is this possible?

Thanks
      kazoa
    • Joe_Miner
      By Joe_Miner
      To see if it would work I moved the Drive Cage from the ML30G9 to my ML10v2 and hooked it to my P222 with 4 5TB drives.  Then hooked a SAS/SATA breakout cable to the MB SAS connector and attached two SSDs to ports 1 & 2 -- Port 1 SSD has my OS (Windows 8.1) and Port 2 SSD has my HyperV VMs.  Ports 3 & 4 I ran to an Icy Dock that can hold 4 2.5" HDDs in a 5.25" ODD slot.  I also ran SATA cables from MB Ports 5 & 6 to the Icy Dock and in the Icy Dock I have 4 1TB 2.5" HDDs.

So far so good!

I added two 60mm fans to the ML10v2 which is now keeping the P222 temps in the 50sC (climbed up to 85+C when I first tired it without the fans- Yikes).

If this setup works after some burn-in I plan to use it to duplicate my entire main home server's data

Planning a move (to the Buckeye State)  in the not to distant future which has kept me quite busy with little time to spend on the boards or just playing with Tech so it was nice to spend part of a rainy afternoon with the ML10v2 and ML30!