RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Tedster

Holy WHS V1 Server resurrection Batman!

Tedster

Hi guys, a bit late to the party on here! However, I thought I'd post about my just building a WHS V1 system.

I had one running for a few years. Upgraded to V(f)ail, didn't like that. Then I dumped the platform in favour of Synology boxes. I've got a 1515+ that I've had for a few years for media shares and it's been great.

I've always missed the seamless back-up features of the original WHS though. So, I thought, why not? I've loads of old computer parts stored. So I put a small box together using a Gigabyte board, a C2D E8600, 4 GB of DDR2 and a single 1TB HDD. 

It all went together nicely, WHS installed to a workable state, needing only a few extra drivers. I put updates on automatic and after a while it started downloading them. After a few reboots it got to the stage where IE8 was on, so I could run Windows Update manually to finish off.

I've still got a copy of the X-Files Edition Restore Disk, from the legendary Drashna, from the old WeGotServed days. It works perfectly still, it restored my Wifes` Lenovo laptop the other day after an errant Windows Update stopped her favourite Shockwave games working! The brownie points from that alone were well worth the effort!

So it just sits there quietly doing its job, external connections are disabled, there's no media sharing. It just does backups and It does them very well. I have another old xp machine that I use for old games. I can restore the system SSD in that in less than 10 minutes, brilliant!

So, there's life in the old WHS dog yet, thanks for having me on board and thanks for reading, if you did! :D

Cheers

Ted

• Like 1

JROrtiz

This makes me want to make another media center box. There are so many things the MS seemed to be ahead of its time on. Thanks for sharing! 

• Like 1

Tedster

Boys and their toys!

I've just dropped an old Pentium E5200 into it, instead of the the C2D. It speedsteps down to only 1200 MHz now. Plenty enough for purpose.

Amazing what you can find at the back of a drawer! :D