RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Joe_Miner

Change HDD by SSD using Acronis n SAA Raid0 on Gen9

Joe_Miner

Criduvero sent me the following direct message:

"Hi, HELP ME PLEASE. I have a Proliant Server Gen9 and it has a RAID0 with 2TB HDD. I wanna change that HDD with a SSD. So the steps are: 1. Enter to SAA>unassigned disks>select ssd>create array>confirm raid0 creation>restart>boot from acronis cd>clone disk>shutdown>Disconnect HDD>power on. 1. Would the system throw an alert when it did not recognize the first array with the HDD? What to do?. 2. Does the server adjust the boot disk or does it need to be done from SAA? 3.What should I do? the OS is Server 2012 R2. Thanks in advance"

I have never tried this -- i.e. using Acronis to clone a HDD to SSD that's a Raid0 Boot disk in a Gen9 -- anyone out there with experience with this or an educated opinion?

Thanks!

Robertomcat

Good Morning.

I understand that the operating system is installed on the HDD and wants to pass it to an SSD. What you can do is incorporate the SSD to a new RAID 0 array, and clone from the HDD to the SSD. Then it tells the SSA that it wants to boot from the SSD and everything will work perfect. I do not know if it's really what you're looking for.

• Like 1

JackoUK

Not sure my experience with disk swaps is directly comparable but ...

My GEN8 servers have all 4 disk bays occupied. Each disk is configured as RAID0.

One time the disk in bay 3 on one of the servers, containing only data, failed completely.

With the server powered down I removed the caddy from bay 3, replaced the disk with a new one, reinserted the caddy and powered up.

During the posting sequence, i.e. before OS load, a prompt like the following appeared:

"NEW DISK IN BAY 3 DETECTED:

PROCEED?"

In other words one is offered the choice to accept the disk asis, which might be what you want.

I believe the behaviour of a disk as RAID0 means the B120i controller won't touch it so things will carry on as normal.

In my case I simply saw a new raw disk which I could then format in Windows and reload the data from backup.

It sounds to me like you have a CD drive and a spare disk bay and can create a clone of the OS disk by booting to the Acronis CD.

After you have created the clone you could power off, remove the old OS HDD and move the cloned OS on the SSD to the slot formerly occupied by the HDD (I suspect the OS has to be in the same bay).

My guess is that when you reboot you will be prompted first with:

NEW DISK IN SLOT 1

PROCEED?

… to which you can answer 'yes' and cloned Windows should load.

You will also get a red alert saying that a disk is missing - the bay formerly holding the SSD is now empty 'cos you moved it!

You can clear this by telling SSA to delete that array, now or at another reboot.

Another interesting question is of course what will happen to the activation status of 2012.

If 2012 activation doesn't like being on a new disk then you will have to go through the 'I really do have a license for this' loops that MSFT has for recovering keys.

I wouldn't start this process without knowing how to rebuild the existing configuration, in case something goes wrong (e.g. one time I tried to modify a GEN8 server which only had 2GB RAM. There is a fault in SSA which loses the RAID configuration for this amount of memory, so I had to recreate all disks from backup).

• Like 1

criduvero

1. Only alerted to me, boot continued. 2. The server adjust the boot disk automatically. 3. It seems the licenses are OK. The main reason to change it that facturation system is slow when new bill is generated, it is biggest Supermarket in my city. But it seems it is still equal :( may b140i be the problem? Today I'm gonna test disk speed

• Like 1