RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

I'm jumping ship

zeeke

50 members have voted

1. 1. Will you follow me?

• No way, WHSv1 is the bestest! DE for president!
    • Vail here I come! (I'll figure storage out later..)
    • DROBO will get a big fat check
    • Raid is nice
    • FreeNAS with ZFS looks awesome!
    • Don't panic, grab you towel and sit tight.

Hi

After DE got the shiv I took a long hard look at my WHSv1 setup and I have come to a couple of conclusions:

1: I have 5x2TB drives and 3x1TB drives

2: I lost almost 1.5TB of data a couple of month back since I didn't have Folder Duplication set on a shares.. bummer

3: My WHS system drive is degraded to the point that I have to replace it and reinstall v1. Or clone the drive and hope it works.

4: After I enabled DF on all shares I was left with a little over 1.5TB free in my 11 TB pool but still only 4.something was user for actual data.

5: I'm migrating to Mac more and more and only really have the HTPC on W7 anymore.

Sum: I'm gonna shop around and see if there is something else then WHS and DE to solve my storage needs.

First of all I really like the expandability of WHS, pop a drive in, add it and there you go. There are two other solutions that does this as well: Drobo and unRaid.

Drobo

+ Expandable

+ Different drive sizes

+ Easy, set and forget

- Expensive

- Reports of data loss and unreliable operations

- Slooooooow

unRaid

+ Expandable

+ Different drive sizes

+ Pretty cheap

- I need new hardware, what I have doesn't seem to be supported

- Pretty inactive user community from what I can tell

Hmm, this didn't look good and to be honest I had my finger on the buy button for a Drobo FS for half an evening. But then I talked to a friend and he suggested that I check out FreeNAS and ZFS. That was a week ago.

I have been swearing. Alot

I first downloaded a liveCD of FreeNas and tried it within a VM. I was not sold. Then I burned it and booted it up on a test box. Much better. I played around with the management settings and the sharing protocols. It really does have it all. If there is a protocol you want out there, is has it. For me, AFP with local user authentication works like a charm. I set up the users, they log in to their account on their laptop and BOOM the NAS is available with the shares I want them to see.

I didn't get my controller card working right and the motherboard I use for the old WHS box only has 4 SATA connections. I moved the data around on my 1TB drives, removed them from the pool and then moved data back. Then I borrowed a 2TB USB drive and filled all the laptops in order to remove all the 2TB drives from the WHS pool. Then I set up a raid5 (or raidz) with ZFS. Created a pool, a couple of datasets with quotas and started testing it out.

I get twice the speed from this box compared to the WHS which topped out around 40Mb/s over Gigabit LAN. It is insane. Right now I'm moving my data back from the USB/FW drive over the network and I get 75+MB/s transfer speeds.

I even tried to remove a drive in the management tab, the share didn't even go down. The transfer didn't stop. ZFS just showed that It was missing da10. I will try to really disconnect a drive, format it and then readd it and see what happens. I'll get back with the results but so far I am really impressed with FreeNAS.

zeeke

PS.

The raidz pool gets over 6TB of available space with only 4 drives. Im planning on using my spare 2TB drive as an upload/dump drive and then set up the 2x1TB as a mirror for really important stuff. Resulting in a little over 9TB of available storage. Take that DE!

DS.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zeeke

• geek-accountant

• britishbob

• seasider

#5. I'm going to use both, would like to use Mac more myself. Maybe the VZW iPhone, iPad2 when it comes out and

my hackintosh desktop. My hackintosh netbook is a disaster, although win7 works well on it.

The mac desktop is way too expensive for what it is. I know mac osx has it's faults, but

apple seems to bridge all the devices better than Win. With the mac store I see you can use purchased software on

all pc's tied to that itunes account. That alone can save a bunch of money, which helps significantly to reduce

the mac tax. I highly doubt I will take the complete plunge, but there is enough goodness in both ecosystems to

give each a try.

I'd be leary of running FreeNAS with Raid5. When I was first looking to build a permanent server solution, FreeNAS was one of the OSs I did some serious research on. I don't know whether this is still the case, but at least as off 2009 generally accepted advice was not use Raid5 on FreeNAS if you valued your data.

If I remember right the warnings were related only to the built-in software Raid5, but I'd make sure you do your research and check it out first.

I have been using unRAID for a few months now. It runs pretty rock solid and I didn't check into any hardware compatibility before starting. Just loaded it on what ever I had lying around and it worked without a problem. However, it is no speed demon. Maybe if I added a cache drive, it would do better but thats for another day.

As for the forums, they seem pretty active to me. Just looking at them right now, many of the forum categories have post as soon as today.

If FreeNAS is working for you, I say you stay with that. I looked into it and was tempted, but other projects got in the way. Maybe after my Amahi test is over I will re-purpose the hardware and give it a try. Look forward to you reporting back on how you have liked living with FreeNAS.

I too want to play with ZFS, whether it be freenas or something else freebsd based..

Community supported ZFS is really in it's infancy though, I think it has huge potential.

Here's one I have been following closely, it's come a long way in a relatively short period of time:

http://zfsguru.com/

Certainly do not agree with jumping ship. DE is one of the best tech to come to storage in a while "for what it was intended to do". It does well a duplicating certain amounts of data, is reasonably quick, and runs as a brain dead process to protect and backup your systems. I looked into other solutions but right now it is the best we have for critical data. That being said, I am going to use dual solution. I will stay with WHS v1 for photos, critical documents, backups, and online sync to a cloud servivce. For media, I will use a RAID setup of some kind, most likely the built in controller in a RAID 5 wihich is what I have been testing for a while now and it is awesome. It is surely coming to point that there will not be a single source solution in the short term. Eventually there will be a prodcut out there that will be an end all solution, but for now, I will be using both versions of WHS for completely different things.

Certainly do not agree with jumping ship. DE is one of the best tech to come to storage in a while "for what it was intended to do". It does well a duplicating certain amounts of data, is reasonably quick, and runs as a brain dead process to protect and backup your systems. I looked into other solutions but right now it is the best we have for critical data. That being said, I am going to use dual solution. I will stay with WHS v1 for photos, critical documents, backups, and online sync to a cloud servivce. For media, I will use a RAID setup of some kind, most likely the built in controller in a RAID 5 wihich is what I have been testing for a while now and it is awesome. It is surely coming to point that there will not be a single source solution in the short term. Eventually there will be a prodcut out there that will be an end all solution, but for now, I will be using both versions of WHS for completely different things.

Out of interest what os are you using for the raid 5 media?

I'm thinking of going the same route, but am currently looking at os options.

pcdoc, I think this is the short term solution. For a longer perspective I don't think local storage will be an option that is cost effective. Right now bandwidth is the most critical holdup for that to happen but over here in Sweden I'm already sitting at a 100/10 Mbit connection and they are rolling out GBit already.

I bought a Promis TX4 card today so I'm going to rebuild my pools this weekend and then start to move the data over. I still have some figureing out todo with mounting points and user folders etc.

For WHS i kept my install HDD intact, if i decide that I want some of the WHS features I will most likely run that as a WM on my mac mini. Apples new Mac store is just another huge incentive for me to go all out Mac. If i buy a program I can install it on ALL my Macs which is a money saver if I ever saw one.

I'll keep you updated on how it goes

Guest no-control

I'm doing something similar to PCDoc. I have a purpose built machine that will run WS2008R2 and utilize Hyper-V to run multiple o/s. Right now I'm leaning towards a RAID1 with Aurora for PC Backup, File Storage, etc... And a RAID5 with Vail strictly as a media server. I saw a few interesting things at CES but it will require a lot more testing before I commit data to them.

Since you lost 1.5TB worth of data which is a bummer but where was the backup? You need to have at least one backup, two is preferred with one being offsite.

Local storage is always going to be an option. It's cheap, fast and cost effective. Even if I was to commit to a FiOS connection with 150/150 The cost would still be more than local.

I'll throw my 2 cents into the mix too. I certainly don't appreciate MS' move to drop DE rather than fix the problems but I'm also not ready to jump ship. I'm still looking forward to Vail for all the reasons stated above. I will happily provide a scathing response to any MS drone that says anything about WHS just to let them know that how pissed I am with them for dropping DE. Overall though, like I said, I find the product very nice. I also use a Drobo as a back-up as opposed to using folder duplications. I think two separate solutions are a better option than having all your eggs in one basket. In the past I've had a problem with the Drobo where I've lost data so just goes to show you that chances are nothing anyone comes up with will be completely bullet proof. Your best and smartest option is to create and keep good back-ups.