RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Dave

RESET 54 - My computer story

Dave

My 4 minute opening segment turned into about 12 minutes.  Here is the story of my first purchased computer.  Tell me your story below.

https://reset.fm/54

JROrtiz

Love your computer story! I remember being in junior high and even in high school and always finding an excuse for my parents to take me to Circuit City, CompUSA, or any other store that sold electronics. I would also pick up a copy of Maximum PC just to drool over all the latest gear. I especially lusted over the Sony VAIO Z505 which at the time was an incredibly thin and compact laptop. Of course there was no way I was going to be able to afford it as a kid, but I would dream of one day buying it. I also fell in love with the MX series with built-in minidisc and media center. I remained a Sony fanboy right up until a few years ago when they sold the VAIO line. My very first computer (as in MY computer that I bought) was the Sony VAIO W all-in-one. My first tower computer was the Sony RA series with liquid cooling and a whole terabyte of storage thanks to a RAID 0 config. And I also owned pretty much every funky niche VAIO device that they made like the UX, X, and P. Yes, a lot of money spent unnecessarily and no one to show it off to but it was SO COOL! And I loved it. 

• Like 1

Al_Borges

I got into computers because of bad handwriting ......

in eight grade,  Sister Mary Perpetua ( real name)   took me aside one day and said  " Alfred, you are a good boy and will do well in life.  However, you need to take a typing class in high school...."

so a year later, as a freshman  I was the only boy in a class of 150 girls ( 1971) in a typing class

fast forward to college,    I was working as student lab technician, when the Prof I was working for found out I could type.   So I was immediately assigned to type and retype IBM punch cards for a Fortran Program he was working on.     I had to submit the cards for input into the University main frame between  midnight and 4 am   so he could get main frame time for free. 

Fast forward to my first job -     as a newly minted engineer,   I was the youngest person assigned to a project to computerize the manufacturing systems at my factory -    My Boss had heard that I had " computer experience"   His computer literacy was so low that he had his secretary print out his emails, so he could respond in handwriting  and have her reply for him ,  so typing in punch cards was magic to him

at this point, I decided I had better get into this computer thing and bought my first computer,  an Atari 800 followed by a used IBM PC 5150 a few years later.   

• Like 1

nrf

wow as long as we are swapping life stories... I had already taken physics and chemistry in my junior HS year. I got into a summer science program at Michigan State. I had to choose a major among chemistry, physics, biology, and computer science. since I had never run into computers I chose computer science as my "major". The rest is history... I ended up staying on a few extra weeks living at a professor's home and finishing some plotting software for his research on VTOL/STOL wing dynamics.

So when I got to Cornell I was able to get work study doing Fortran programming, but I didn't get a home computer until many years later. it was a 'packard hell' tower with a horizontal motherboard and a riser. I never really loved that thing... but you start somewhere.

• Like 1