RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Choice of OS

awraynor

I hope to soon install the SSD in my primary desktop and wonder what

is the best OS for my use? I have will/have 2 desktops, 2 notebooks,

1 HTPC and 2 WHS's. Courtesy of my technet subscription I have installed

Ultimate on everything, but does this create more overhead than benefit?

I do not join domains, use BitLocker, etc. I just want to use them on my

home wired/wireless network, with the desktop of course never leaving home.

What do you suggest?

I'd say go with Ultimate anyway. Makes your life easier in not having to think about it. Unless you are using basic (and no Aero) there shouldn't be a performance difference between the 3.

That's what's got me. My 4 year old centrino duo dell notebook and single core atom netbook run win7 ultimate better

than my quad core desktop with 8gb of RAM. Going to reinstall to the ssd and see what happens. Of course as soon as

I finish my whs build and back everything up.

Another question. I am going to do Win7 to SSD, Snow Leopard to a 1TB WD Black and the data drive for the SSD to a 1TB

WD drive. Guess that way an OS install doesn't require complete data restore as well.

Does WHS see that drive as connected to the Win7 drive and enable backup for it?

For Windows 7, the real differentiator for me is Remote Desktop which is only available in Pro/Ultimate. If it's a machine that I'm expecting to remote into, it gets Pro. If it's something that I'll rarely have to access (ie, the gf's laptop), it gets Home.

Another question. I am going to do Win7 to SSD, Snow Leopard to a 1TB WD Black and the data drive for the SSD to a 1TB

WD drive. Guess that way an OS install doesn't require complete data restore as well.

Does WHS see that drive as connected to the Win7 drive and enable backup for it?

How does Mac OS work? Do you get a DVD with the OS to load on your choice of hardware? I have always heard that you can't run the Mac OS as a virtual OS in something like Virtualbox, but if you have a DVD, then a ISO could be made. Couldn't this be used to create a VM in virtualbox?

I run Snow Leopard with an EFI USB boot loader. I dual boot Win7 and Snow Leopard, with

plans to add Linux in the future. It costs some $, but it justs work. I went the software

route on my netbook and that is in exercise in frustration. My time is well worth the money

I spent on it and I can update just like a real mac.

http://www.expresshd.com/efix-usb-v1-1.html

A Mac Pro with less features starts at $2500. My triple boot

was half that and can be built with hardware of my choosing.

Edited by awraynor