RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hyper-V CPU usage

geek-accountant

I created a VM of Windows 7 Pro 32bit for my son to use as a second computer. He is running something on it that is keeping it pretty busy. When he looks at task manager on the VM, it shows near 100% usage of both cores (I gave the VM 2 cores). But when I look at it under the Server Manager, it shows around 30-40% and the task manager running on the 2008 server is only around 5% or less (see below). What is going on here?

hypervcpu.jpg

I haven't seen that sort of behaviour before. I do know that when I first connect to a VM with remote desktop, the CPU spikes at 100% for a few seconds but it does come down after that.

Are you sure that his VM has the Hyper-V integration tools installed?

No, I need to check that. But would that affect the actual Task Manager results on the host OS?

No, I need to check that. But would that affect the actual Task Manager results on the host OS?

If the VM has to jump through non-optimized hoops in order to process the same workload, that would make sense...

Also, check and make sure he's not running a whole lot of concurrent background tasks. If he's (possibly unintentionally) doing a lot of i/o that could cause some of the spiking. Suspects here would generally be things like anti-virus, malware scanners or backup software... I've had a few occurences where Security Essentials decided to start a real-time scan that caused me some lag and poor responsiveness. (If that scan happens to get triggered on multiple VMs at the same time or starts on a second VM before the first can complete, you might have an issue.)

I know what he is running and it should be taking up a lot of CPU. Looking at his remote connection and opening up task manager in the VM, cpu usage is around 80%+. Hyper-V manager is reporting somewhere around 40%. The difference here may be due to not having the integration tools installed. However, task manager on the host os (Win 2008r2) has the cpu usage at 5% or less.

My guess is the host OS task manager is wrong. After integration tools are installed, if not already, I will check and see if it makes any difference.

Hmmm. You could always try posting something on the Hyper-V social forums at Microsoft. (Or serverfault.com..)

Guest no-control

Host Task Manager is only showing the load from the 2008R2 processes. You need to refer to either the CPU/Memory usage reported in the Hyper-V console or the Task Mgr in the VM if you want more specifics. Only other way to track it is to create a new Graph set in the administrative tools to monitor the specific Hyper-V instances/services/processes you want to monitor.

OK, thanks. I was assuming the task manager for the host would show the real load on the CPU's in total across everything using it. I had already created some graphs (not shown in the image I posted above) for the VM's CPU and Network using the Performance Monitor program within Server 2008.