RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Trig0r

Plex starting to suck?

Trig0r

I've got a friend with a Gen8, 1610, 8Gb RAM, he's had Plex server on it since not long after I had my Gen8, yet recently his FireTV sticks are struggling to play anything for more than a few seconds, then they stop and go back to the media screen, I've tweaked his wifi and had a general look at his server but theres nothing obvious I can see as to why its stopped working, is Plex just getting so cluttered with new features that the lowly Celly wont do the job anymore?!

ShadowPeo

That is certainly my experience, I am finding that the new encodes are taking a shite load more processing power to transcode admittedly this is on an Atom/Apple TV setup but the transcode I find is the suck, send it to a "real" device where you can install CODEC's and it works fine still even at 4K, but as soon as transcode kicks in it bums out

Dave

I don't think I would transcode on anything but a core i processor.

nrf

one of the beauties of WMC was that (when it was working) it collected the pure unadulterated "file" that was broadcast and you could choose to watch it with something like VNC for full enjoyment.

• Like 1

Trig0r

Maybe time to find an alternative, its only for a single stream and has been fine for ages, just think they're breaking older things with the newer updates, doubt wont be able to install an older version though as the app on the FireTV stick will probably be too new to talk to an old server...

Maybe alternative time...

Dave
one of the beauties of WMC was that (when it was working) it collected the pure unadulterated "file" that was broadcast and you could choose to watch it with something like VNC for full enjoyment.
No lag. No interlaced looking video and instant 30 second skip ahead with zero rebuffering. Am I asking too much? Old antiquated WMC was doing this all when? Back to xp days?

ShadowPeo
11 hours ago, Dave said:

I don't think I would transcode on anything but a core i processor.

I agree, but I was going to simplicity and running on the NAS was fine up until I started putting in 4K media. sometimes it would stutter a little on the 1080P when it was using HVEC, but honestly, I think the problem, in this case, is the endpoint devices not supporting (without jailbreaking etc) the installation of CODEC's.

Looking at my own experience here there is no legit reason the ATV, for instance, cannot support MKV containers which is what my issue boils down to as it supports HVEC itself.

Given that the newer media, wherever it comes from is becoming higher and higher bitrates it is becoming a required evil to run a more powerful machine to do the transcoding as fewer people are now using full-blown HTPC's to view the playback and are instead going to the consumer devices, be that FireTV, Roku, Apple TV or even the Smart TV apps themselves due to the smaller size, and lower power requirements, thus stressing the backend more.

For me personally its only a short-term issue as I have a couple of clients returning leased servers next year that are dual 8 core 3Ghz Xeons that I can pick up for a grand a piece so I will grab them, and put them to work (these are not exclusively for Plex before you ask, they are going to be redundant NVR's/VM hosts etc for a project).  Looking at this project happening, however, has made me look at the requirements for Plex and it is interesting to note that whilst my preference would be to run Plex on a Linux server (specifically in a docker instance, you can pass the nVidia graphics cards through to the container) that on Linux the nVidia cards cannot be used for decoding, only encoding (or is it the other way around, I do not recall) meaning that if you want full support you go to Windows, which means a bare hardware install unless you want to try to work out how to pass through the GPU to the Hyper-V machine or a Container (I know it can be done to Hyper-V no idea on a Windows Container) which there is no "clean" way to do or go VMWare but I have limited experience in that particular system.

Just all food for thought