RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
randman

SSD for HPE ML30

randman

I am looking for an SSD for the HPE ML30 that I ordered. I plan on booting it up with ESXi from a USB stick. But the VMs will be in a local SSD datastore.

I don't plan on buying a separate drive controller for the ML30 (I'd like to setup RAID, but HPE's controllers are quite $$$).

So, one option is to just buy a 1TB 2.5" SSD (like the Samsung EVO 860). But I was looking at the HPE ML30 Server User Guide page 55

(http://content.etilize.com/User-Manual/1046044078.pdf) and it talks about an M.2 enablement kit. There's no details about what this is. The ML30's Quick Specs document mentions the "HPE ML10v2 Drive Enablement Kit" (part number 812248-B21). I think it can be used for installing M.2 cards? I couldn't find much info on this device and whether it supports 3rd party M.2 cards.

Has anyone used this drive enablement kit?

Anyone have any good SSD suggestions for this server?

randman

Edit: To use in M.2 SSD, not sure if either part number 

878783-B21 or 812248-B21 can be used. Anyone know?

Edited by randman

randman

Okay, I got a little more info from https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=a00001288enw . This says:

"878783-B21 enablement Kit is an Add-In-Card, for installation inside of the server, that can be configured to be either Single or Dual with choice of any SATA 2280 M.2 in the HPE M.2 portfolio. "

So, looks like I can put one or two M.2 SSDs in this PCI-E card. This card has two cables that connect to two SATA ports in the motherboard. The question is: is this any faster (in terms of read/writes) as compared to a normal 2.5" SATA SSD card that I would install in bay 1? Normally, an M.2 SSD is much faster than a 2.5" SSD, but I don't know if that would be the case when using this PCI-E card. 

schoondoggy

M.2 NVMe PCIe cards are much faster than 2.5" SATA SSD's. M.2 SATA SSD's are the same performance as 2.5" SATA SSD's.

NVMe devices require UEFI BIOS to be a bootable device.

For HPE RAID, I just bought a used P430 with 2GB cache for $110 and a used P440 with 4GB cache for $129. I believe the ML30 has the charging port for the bigger cache battery for the P440 controllers. They both work well with ESXi.

randman

Thanks for the tip. I looked at baby for P440, and the prices are much better than the usual online retails. I do have some old Samsung 840 2.5" SATA SSDs that I can use with the P440 (not sure how well the Samsung 840s do garbage collection). 

The HPE ML30 supports UEFI so it can boot via NVMe PCIe. But I plan on booting ESXi off a USB stick, so it doesn't matter. I saw this article https://tinkertry.com/how-to-install-a-2nd-samsung-950-pro-m2-nvme-on-superserver which used a Lycom DT-120 PCIe card with an M.2 SSD. So, I'm considering getting that and the Samsung 970 EVO NVMe SSD to use as a datastore for my VMs.

So, now I need to decide whether to go for the speed of an NVMe PCIe or be safe and go for a RAID array.... 

schoondoggy

Do both!

Only caution on the P440 is the battery for the cache. There is a small one, or a large one that can support multiple controllers. Either can be pricey.

On the P430 and P440 the connector on the board is not a SFF-8087. There are affordable cables on eBay, but they are designed to connect to back-planes.