RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Jason

File share data encryption?

Jason

Hi, I currently have a WSE12R2 home file server with a few file shares containing sensitive data.  This data is currently being encrypted and backed up to CrashPlan cloud.  This same data is being accessed on my LAN by other client PCs.

As I've recently had HDDs fail, I've begun exploring best way to encrypt certain data on my network... also, in the event I'd need to return/replace a HDD under a manufacturer warranty.

I've tried apps in the past like TrueCrypt, that required a tedious process of individual client PCs mounting, updating and unmounting containers.

Was hoping encryption methods have since evolved.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• phillyphotogmagee
      By phillyphotogmagee
      Ok, I have a feeling that this is a larger Windows 10 issue, but I am experiencing this with the Surface Pro 4, the ideal test hardware for anything 

Microsoft, right?

Here is what we are trying to accomplish:

Encyrypt our Surface Pro 4's (win 10 Pro) using Hardware-Based Encryption

Why?
      A) Because it is faster for the SSD to perform the encryption rather than the process, since the SSD is already encrypted
      Better battery life (because the processor is not encrypting the volume)
      C) Performing software encryption on an already encrypted volume defeats many of the internal optimizations that SSDs have built in (leading to 

slower performance)

How?
      We have taken stock Surface Pro 4s, straight from the box.  No applications or updates have been installed, we have not added to a domain.  The only 

modification we have made is to the Local Group Policy:

Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Bitlocker Drive Encryption/Operating System Drives

*Require additional authentication at startup (Enabled, default options)
      *Enable use of BitLocker Aauthentication requireing preboot keyboard input on slates (Enabled, default options)
      -Configure use of hardware-based encryption for operating system drives (Enabled, default options)

What's Wrong:
      When I go to enable Bitlocker, I am being provided the prompt to encrypt Used Only, or Whole Drive.  From all of the literature I have read, this 

prompt indicates Software Encryption.  When I select Full Drive, it takes a while (over 10 minutes) to encrypt. Again, from my reading, Hardware 

Encryption should be immediate (as everything is already encrypted).

Question:
      What am I missing?  Is there an issue with Hardware Encryption that I have not been able to identify on the Surface Pro 4?  Is this an OS issue? Are 

there any other troubleshooting steps that I can take a look at?  Again, these are stock units, fresh out of the box from Microsoft.

Sources (these are just some, all have been verified using additional sources that repeat the information):
      Slower Performance- Hardware Accelerated BitLocker Encryption: Microsoft Windows 8 eDrive Investigated with Crucial M500
        http://www.anandtech.com/show/6891/hardware-accelerated-bitlocker-encryption-microsoft-windows-8-edrive-investigated-with-crucial-m500

Steps to enable encryption- How to Enable BitLocker Hardware Encryption with SSDs
        https://helgeklein.com/blog/2015/01/how-to-enable-bitlocker-hardware-encryption-with-ssd/

Technet on Why to Hardware Encrypt - Encrypted Hard Drive
        https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831627.aspx

GP Settings to Enable Hardware Encryption - Enabling Hardware Acceleration of BitLocker
        http://blog.jflamb.com/enabling-hardware-acceleration-of-bitlocker/
    • Nickolai
      By Nickolai
      I am going to use Surface Pro 2 with Ubuntu (weird, I know) and I would like to clarify: does Surface Pro 2 support hardware encryption?

I figured it's a cool feature where you set up a password (in BIOS, via 'ATA password' feature) and the computer asks for the password at boot time. If you won't enter the right password, the disk won't be decrypted and booting will be impossible.

Usual laptops with removable hard drives should just support ATA passwords, and the hardware encryption itself is a feature of SSD, but since in Surface Pro everything is so integrated, I'm asking whether the system as a whole supports hardware encryption.

Project Fi now accepts iPhone!