RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Rodf

What is the point of QoS?

Rodf

I've got a NETGEAR R7000 router. I know that I can enable something called QoS. Only, I've no idea what that means or why I would want to enable it. So, can you help me understand what its all about and if I should enable it or not?

Trig0r

Basically prioritizes traffic on the network

• Like 1

ShadowPeo

QoS or Quality of Service as @Trig0r stated is basically network traffic prioritization at its base. What it is designed to do, with more and more converged traffic these days is to lower the latency and give top billing to applications that require this VoIP is a widely used example, low latency and no (or minimal rather) dropped packets are highly important here.

Prioritization can be done in many ways, traditionally as above it was done for traffic classes, but you can, in theory, do it for the source, destination or a myriad of conditions, commonly these days gaming centric products offer game bandiwdth prioritization on the motherboards, and routers.

• Like 1

Rodf

Sounds like it would be great to enable, if we did a lot of gaming. We don't. We do a fairly significant amount of streaming, however I've not noticed any delay in our streaming. At least, not in the last few months. So, I think I'll leave it off.

Thanks, @Trig0r and @ShadowPeo

Edited by Rodf
added thanks

ShadowPeo

Good choice it puts most consumer routers under considerable strain and they are not designed to do it honestly. Personally, I do use it or rather I am trying to as I update the systems at home, but we do have bandwidth (or lack thereof) issues

Jason

I use it to prioritize voip and WiFi calling from video streaming, downloads, etc. My network would suffer without it.

ShadowPeo
13 hours ago, Jason said:

I use it to prioritize voip and WiFi calling from video streaming, downloads, etc. My network would suffer without it.

Had not thought of WiFi calling as a prioritization task. I will have to look into thanks for the idea

• Like 1