RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Robertomcat

Doubt about cloning a RAID 1

Robertomcat

Hello good afternoon.

I have an HP ML110 G9 server where I have an Integrated RAID controller b140i, which performs a software RAID. In the photo, what is selected in green are two RAID 1, and currently Toshiba disks are those with the operating system, and wanted to clone them to Samsung disks.

The Acronis 2015 software does not see the logical volumes, and it only lets me select a Toshiba physical disk to be able to perform the cloning, and then only a Samsung disk.

My question is whether cloning can be done by choosing only one disk of each logical volume (I have not tried to start it for security, so I do not know if it's really going to leave me)

Thank you!

(The volume that is seen in red, is a hardware raid controller, it has nothing to do with my doubts)

PHOTO ACRONIS

schoondoggy

In general, cloning does not work with drives that are running with a RAID controller. The cloning software does not pickup the metadata. This varies for controller brands. I assume you are trying to replace both Toshiba disks with the Samsung disks?

Robertomcat
11 minutes ago, schoondoggy said:

In general, cloning does not work with drives that are running with a RAID controller. The cloning software does not pickup the metadata. This varies for controller brands. I assume you are trying to replace both Toshiba disks with the Samsung disks? 

Hi. Yes, I want to replace the two Toshiba discs with the two Samsung discs. I will explain what I have done, to see if in the future I can have problems or not.

In the end I have cloned with the Acronis software the Toshiba disk 1, with the Samsung disk 1. Then I did the same with the Toshiba 2 disc and the Samsung 2 disc.

Once everything has been done, I have restarted the server, and within the SSA I have indicated that it started from Samsung raid 1, and it worked perfectly without any problem.

I have done checks of copies between different logical volumes, and the truth is that it is very satisfactory. After returning to restart the server to make sure that there was no problem, and it seems that everything works fine.

Do you think that the integrated b140i software controller is correctly performing its job of replicating all the information on both disks at the same time?

Thank you!

schoondoggy

The full disk cloning must have picked up all the data and metadata needed.

Is the entire capacity of the Samsung drives available?

If SSA is showing that the two Samsungs are in a healthy RAID1 you should be fine.

Robertomcat
1 minute ago, schoondoggy said:

Is the entire capacity of the Samsung drives available?

Yes, it has expanded and occupied the total amount of the disc, with the Acronis software. Previously I had tested with the Clonezilla, and it maintained the same dimension as the original disk, without reallocating the new one.

4 minutes ago, schoondoggy said:

If SSA is showing that the two Samsungs are in a healthy RAID1 you should be fine. 

Yes, the b140i controller does not indicate any type of error, so I think everything is working fine.

Thank you!

• Like 1

Moen00

If SSA is showing the two Samsungs are in a healthy RAID1 .