RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Rodf

How do you dim or hide your modem's lights?

Rodf

I'm one day into switching from DSL to cable for Internet. I bought a ARRIS SB6190 cable modem at Best Buy. So, its only one day in, but it seems good, so far. The one thing I'd really like to know is how do you either dim the lights on the SB6190 or hide the lights, but still let the SB6190 run cool? I have to sleep in the same room as the modem, blue light from the SB6190 are very bright.

schoondoggy

On most Arris modems the lights, other than the power light, can be turned off in the config utility. Google searches suggest this option may not be available on the 6190. Check the settings. If there is nothing there, use a strip of duct tape.

• Like 1

Rodf

OK, thanks.

ShadowPeo

I have a different device that I have a similar issue with and I use black electrical tape as the device is black so you cannot see it when it is running, I have also tucked it behind my chest of drawers stuck on with the 3M picture to hide it further but still allow easy access

• Like 1

Rodf

I like your solution SharowPeo. I'm thinking of going to Walmart or World Market, to look for a small box of wood or plastic. Something that could give it a few inches of clearance for ventilation, but still prevent the light from illuminating half the room at night.

ShadowPeo

Yeh I was lucky with that the way my device (a Skiva octofire 8 port USB charger) is designed the vents are along the top rim normally, on all sides, so when I mounted it "vertically" not horizontally I now have a bunch of vents pointed at the floor and the others at the ceiling making it act cool a hell of a lot more effectively than mounting it horizontally

GavinCampbell

I use these lightdim stickers for devices with lights I don't want to block, but just want to dim.  The wife loves it for the various lights in the bedroom.  It should help if you don't want to fully black out the lights.

http://www.lightdims.com/

• Like 1

ShadowPeo

Interesting product, I would hate to put black on everything though, I wonder if those semi-opaque stickers would work on white/pale devices

oj88

A piece of automotive tint, the darkest shade you can find or something similar, could probably subdue the LEDs.

Rodf
On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 3:12 AM, oj88 said:

A piece of automotive tint, the darkest shade you can find or something similar, could probably subdue the LEDs.

What do you mean by "automotive tint"?