RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

B120i problem

fulgore

Hi guys,

i have a problem expanding the storage on a Microserver Gen8, i currently have 4 HDDs connected to a P222 raid card and 1 850 EVO connected to the ODD port powered by a 4 pin PWM to SATA 15 pins connector (https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B018NKPVMA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

I bought a SFF-8087 to 4X SATA cable (https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B001BIN3N6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and connected it directly to the B120i mini-sas port and connected the same 850 EVO to the SATA adapter but the B120i doesn't recognize it.

What did i miss?

Thanks in advance

fulg0re

Did you enter the B120i configuration software, SSA or ACU, to check for it? If it is visible in the configuration software you would need to set it up as a single drive RAID0. You could also turn the B120i off and run the onboard ports as AHCI, depending on what else you intend to do with the other ports. It is a good idea to unplug the cable from the motherboard and reconnect it. From the Amazon description it looks like you have the correct cable, SFF-8087 to SATA, which would be a fan out cable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I used SSA to check the arrays of both the P222 and the B120i.

This is my current configuration:

P222 - SATA backplane - 4xHDDs

OnBoard SATA - 4 pin PWM to SATA 15 pins - 1xSSD

This is the configuration that i'm trying to do:

P222 - SFF-8087 to SATA backplane - 4xHDDs

B120i - 4 pin PWM to SATA 15 pins/SFF-8087 to SATA - 1xSSD (more SSDs in future)

I already tried reconnecting the SFF-8087 to the B120i but the problem persists, at POST the SSD is not recognized: 1785 drive array not configured no drives detected.

Edited by fulgore

The error; 1785 drive array not configured no drives detected; generally means that the controller sees the physical drive but does not see an array configured on it. HP controllers do not have a JBOD mode, to support individual drives on the B120i you need to configure them as single drive RAID0. If you are planning to add more SSD's to the B120i ports and you intend to set them up as individual drives, you may want to switch the B120i to AHCI in the BIOS. Can you post a screen shot of the SSA of the B120i?