RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Surface is the new Black

Dave

Real quick. Did anyone forget that Surface Pro, Pro 2, and the first RT device were black? Ok, just checking!  All kidding aside, the new black does look good but do they figure you will buy new pens, mice, and keyboards too?  Is there a new color on the horizon for every release now?

Pre-Order Now - https://fave.co/2zPRs87   or   https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/

Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 1.35.26 PM.png

Surface 6 is even more affordable, Studio 2 is still drool worthy. Laptop 2, yup, still want one.  Surface Headphones? Whaaaat?  You know what the coolest part of Microsoft announcing these is?  This photo.

Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 1.38.38 PM.png

Splayed open for the world to see.  Check out the Microsoft Store site for the complete view.  https://fave.co/2zODovC   I don't know if I'm ready to put down $350 for a gen 1 Microsoft product any more but these are certainly interesting.  I'm curious as to what you think.

Here is everything announced. All the new gadgets and apps.  

Surface Pro 6

Surface Studio 2

Surface Laptop 2

Surface Headphones

Surface All Access

Windows 10 Phone Mirroring

Timeline for Android

To-Do for Outlook

Biggest story for me?  Right here - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/b/surface-all-access

Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 1.45.38 PM.png

That price is the entry level Surface Go by the way.  Here are the starting Monthly Recurring Fees for all the devices if you are curious.  Don't forget that it also includes Office 365 for 2 years.  That has value as well especially if you are already paying for it.  Although small, I am considering that in my overall numbers when looking below.Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 1.47.24 PM.png  Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 1.47.13 PM.png

If you are interested, use the RESET link and I'll get a few pennies to help pay the server bills!  Thank!  

This link takes you straight to Surface All Access

https://fave.co/2zPr6mJ

Trig0r

We get Surface as a Service here in the UK, guessing this Surface All Access is pretty much the same thing..

I do like the look of the Pro 6, primarily because we are now hitting similar to desktop core/thread counts, now USB-C though which I was expecting given the Go has it, wonder how hardy the black is, is it real black or something thats gonna scratch off revealing silver as other "premium" manufacturers have done in the past lol..

Fair to say I'll be sticking with my Pro 2017 for now as its not that old (i7/16/512) and the CPU grunt alone isn't enough to push me, maybe the "7" will tick more boxes, Vega GPU (never happen in the Pro IMHO as nice as it would be), USB-C Wifi 6

JROrtiz

I've been waiting on the Surface Studio 2 all year long. Yes, I know I can get more bang for my buck by building my own box or going with an HP or something like that, but the form factor and screen hold a huge appeal to me. I almost bought the original Studio earlier this year, but it really was way too under powered. The refresh is just enough for me to pull the trigger.

In regards to the other devices, I bought the 1st gen laptop last year and although it's definitely great build quality, it has been so sluggish and actually heavier than I expected. I've not been happy with it at all. To see that it's getting a significant speed boost is a very good thing. I still have a Surface Pro 3 and it's definitely due for an upgrade, but at this point I refuse to buy any mobile devices that can't charge via USB C. It just seems silly to have to carry around a brick for every device when USB C can be used across the board.

I just got back from vacation and I bought the Surface Go for the mere fact that it has a USB C port which supports charging. It was amazing having a single adapter for my phone, headphones, and tablet! 

So, ultimately my plan is to stick with the Surface Go, trade-in/sell my Surface Laptop and SP 3, and use those funds towards the Studio 2.

• Like 1

callihan44

the new black looks really good, I will be checking it out but not sure I will be buying one...I went back to thinkpads, been rocking a  x1 yoga 14 for over a year now and debating getting a 6th gen x1 carbon while they are on sale...I do like the aspect ratio of the surface pro better though, it's just my vision is not as it once was ...ahhh getting old 

Edited by callihan44
  • Like 1