RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

Synology DS119j

Dave

If you ever wanted to try out a Synology NAS today is your lucky day.  

Screen Shot 2018-09-28 at 7.36.58 AM.png

Synology just announced the DS119j single bay NAS and it is only $99.99.   Right from the start you know it's a beginner NAS by the "j" designation but it's a one bay NAS so I wouldn't be concerned about power.  The typical one bay NAS is usually designed to get you started or provide a simple backup target for anyone that is not used to these type devices.

The DS119j runs Synology's Disk Station Manager, DSM.  It doesn't have some other lower powered OS.  You get the same OS as you would with a 4 bay or larger NAS.  It has a dual core CPU with hardware encryption engine and is compatible with the Synology iOS and Android apps for anytime and anywhere access.  Synology's numbers state 112 MB/s read and 108 MB/s writes.

A Web Assistant is available for easy NAS setup.  Synology also has an EZ-Internet Wizard to guide you through some of the more complicated setup items such as firewall, DDNS, etc. 

Screen Shot 2018-09-28 at 7.20.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-28 at 7.22.04 AM.png

I quickly want to jump to one feature that I think makes this little guy a no brainer purchase.  It comes with 2 camera licenses for Surveillance Station.  A camera license alone is $50 so you get two and a backup target!  It will also support up to 5 cameras.  Later, I'll show you how to integrate a second NAS into your Surveillance Station so you don't have to open up two different systems just two view these 2 additional cameras.

This should be a great start for anyone wanting to look at DSM or if you need to put a NAS at a family member location. Don't forget you can download the Synology backup software for free and backup all the PC's in your house.  It also is handy to backup your cloud locations like OneDrive, etc.

Take a look at it here - https://www.synology.com/en-global/products/DS119j

It's on Amazon right now but the shipping fee is a little high.  https://amzn.to/2xJZQod  I'm assuming that the shipping will come down in time once it is stocked by Amazon.  I'm going to order one and take a deeper look at it.  I'll follow up here and on the RESET podcast.  https://reset.fm . Subscribe to the podcast for more.

GabonPhil

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Dave. I'm looking for more Surveillance Station licenses for my Synology NAS. Rather than buy more at £56.39 each, do you think the two licenses that come with the DS119J could be transferred to my existing DG216J? After I had transferred the two Surveillance Station licenses, I could give the DS119J away.

You also mentioned "Later, I'll show you how to integrate a second NAS into your Surveillance Station, so you don't have to open up two different systems just two view these 2 additional cameras." Did you ever progress this post?

ShadowPeo

Damn really thats expensive by our standards even, we pay 80 AUD for one or about 50GBP.

Also I do not know if the licences actually "transfer" or its simply linking the devices and thus the licences are actually still on the device. I have always believed this is the case so thus if you give away the device (or even disconnect it) you loose the licences. I am more than happy to be wrong because in that case I have client that can have 6 "free" licences from their other Syno's onto their NVR syno. Saving that money will help towards getting better cameras that actually work.

Dave

You have to install the cameras on the new system and then use CMS to connect them. I think in live viewer you add the cameras from both units and then connect only to that main unit via mobile or http.

I'll take a deeper look at it soon but it's pretty easy.

GabonPhil

Thanks for those responses ShadowPeo and Dave.

Doesn't seem like my idea of transferring the Surveillance Station licenses to my NAS and giving the donor NAS away is realistic.

CheezWiz

Hi everyone, 

I am just now switching over to a synology 918+ from a WHS V1 that I setup thanks to the Home Server Show podcast and all the great blog posts and forum posts here. I had prepaid several years worth of Crashplan family unlimited during a Black Friday sale back in 2016 and that converted over to pro and is good into 2020, however my server went unsupported about 100 days ago, so I took that as my trigger to make the change. 

I am working on migrating the server to the 918 now and even have Crashplan pro working with it! However, I decided I would pick up one of these 119 units and a big hard drive that I will run in my fireproof gun safe as a local mirror of the 918. I had seen an earlier post by Dave about doing this with a 115 I believe and the idea seems solid to me. Dave, I too would be interested in a tutorial on integration the surveillance part between the two. I'm a complete newbie to Synology. I am just thankful for this site and all the great information from everyone here. 

• Like 1