RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Jason

Ubiquiti Wi-Fi

Jason

Does anyone else here run Ubiquiti wireless hardware in their environment?

Just picked up a couple of their AC HD APs to test in a home environment along with their PoE switch and Cloudkey. Have use Open Mesh setup in past but found performance to be mediocre. If all goes well, this will be a replacement to Netgear Orbi. Have read in other forums people who have had success running a single AP in their environment perhaps due to an open floor plan.

Wasn’t sure whether I should’ve gotten the AC PROs with 3x3 or the HD 4x4, but opted for the HD in event it’s a bit more future-proof (MU-MIMO, 4x4, etc).

Would appreciate if anyone can post their experiences.

Thanks!

richu75

I do. Both domestic and profesional.

My own setup cantains two ac pro’s inhouse, and an ac lite for the garden. It covers my 180 sq meter house and 200 sq meters of garden without any blindspots. It’s all connected thru two US-8-60’s.

Profesionally (healthcare) we’ve rolled out 420 ac pro’s to cover all our branches (about 90). This is a mix of small office buildings (150 seats) to big outdoor terrains of several thousand sq meters. But no unifi switches here, we keep the hp procurves.

It has been a relief, we were upgrading from an enterprise system (hp colubris).

Personally I don’t recommend the cloudkey, you’re better off running the (free) controller in a virtual machine.

• Like 1

Jason
I do. Both domestic and profesional.

My own setup cantains two ac pro’s inhouse, and an ac lite for the garden. It covers my 180 sq meter house and 200 sq meters of garden without any blindspots. It’s all connected thru two US-8-60’s.

Profesionally (healthcare) we’ve rolled out 420 ac pro’s to cover all our branches (about 90). This is a mix of small office buildings (150 seats) to big outdoor terrains of several thousand sq meters. But no unifi switches here, we keep the hp procurves.

It has been a relief, we were upgrading from an enterprise system (hp colubris).

Personally I don’t recommend the cloudkey, you’re better off running the (free) controller in a virtual machine.

Awesome. Why no Cloudkey? It was my understanding it enabled you to manage the APs remotely even when a server was down that housed the controller software. Are there more features in the desktop controller? Thanks.

richu75

Awesome. Why no Cloudkey? It was my understanding it enabled you to manage the APs remotely even when a server was down that housed the controller software. Are there more features in the desktop controller? Thanks.

The CK is the controller. It’s a mini pc like the raspberry pi with linux and the controller software preinstalled. But... it runs from a micro sd. Slow an prone to errors/craches.

I already had a homeserver, so I opted for a virtual machine. Saved me a couple of bucks.

Also, you only need the controller for the initial setup. The unifi network doesn’t need the controller to run. You only need the controller 24/7 if you run a captive portal and/or you collect stats 24/7.
  • Like 1

Dave

Hey, I know that guy.

• Like 2

Jason

Got 5 APs for roaming and coverage vs blasting signal strength from a central location. Planning to install them next weekend in key areas.

oj88

I have four UAP-AC.... three LR and one Pro.

Controller runs on WHS2011.

Jason

Awesome! How do you like them? I have 1 HD and 4 PROs.

oj88
34 minutes ago, Jason said:

Awesome! How do you like them? I have 1 HD and 4 PROs.

Love 'em. Never had a WiFi-related issue since.

• Like 1