RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Microserver Gen8 Case Swap Problems

TeCH-Guruz

So just wondering if anyone has attempted a case swap, I have seen one guy on here who successfully completed one although other than details on the motherboard mounting points which I'm expecting to be a problem didn't mention much else. Just wondering if anyone can tell me what other problems I might be running into. I'm not quite ready to reveal the case yet but I will have more than enough space inside.

As far as the PSU from what I've read I can't be sure if a standard PSU will work or if the pinout is different? Water cooling is a possibility so I'm sure I will be needing a better PSU.  Not really sure of what other problems I could have possibly pinouts for the power button etc might not be standard? The new case has lots of USB3 ports so may need a PCIE card to add some USB3 ports but may also need to HBA depending on if I work out if more HDD's can be added. As standard, the new case only has space for 4 drives which aren't really a problem since 4 drives @ 8TB is more than enough for my current usage. 

So far I am going to work with what I have and do a test fit later on today but will be looking at a CPU upgrade and if I cant add extra drives will be water cooling the CPU so should be able to go with a decent CPU. 

The motherboard is not a standard formfactor.

People have swapped the PSU, so other PSU will work.

The pinout for the front panel is not standard.

There is only one PCIe slot, if you use it for a USB 3.0 card you wont have a route to expand the system.

I have to ask, why would you want to do this?

35 minutes ago, schoondoggy said:

The motherboard is not a standard formfactor.

People have swapped the PSU, so other PSU will work.

The pinout for the front panel is not standard.

There is only one PCIe slot, if you use it for a USB 3.0 card you wont have a route to expand the system.

I have to ask, why would you want to do this?

The main reason is really I miss building PC's since moving over to OSX. I also have the perfect space for the case in question so aesthetics are a big part of why I am doing it. Anyway just got the case so sitting here tearing it down as we speak to see what does and doesn't work. As far as expansion goes for the time being it doesn't look possible with my new case anyway but you never know. But what is definitely an option is a 1265L water cooled.

3 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

Why not sell the MS Gen8 and buy an up-to-date motherboard and CPU?

Well after a quick test fit (if you can even call it that) this may be an option, I'm currently looking into a few motherboards but to be honest don't really know where to start. My only real specification is it needs to have IPMI minimum of 1x USB2 headers 2x USB3 headers, and it has to be mATX.

Edited by TeCH-Guruz

SuperMicro makes way too many variants of their motherboards. You need to confirm part numbers features very closely. If you are open to used, I think this has the features you have listed: https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-SUPERMICRO-X10SLM-F-SYSTEM-MOTHERBOARD-WARRANTY/223132196688?epid=1707598449&hash=item33f3b71f50:g:GkQAAOSwerRbkARG:sc:USPSPriority!55016!US!-1

Cheers buddy I have been checking the SuperMicro site for options... I have no issue with used parts only problem is they are in the states and I'm in the UK. Although I would like IPMI it seems to be a big limiting factor plus the fact that when I have it all setup running unraid I will almost never have to connect a keyboard/mouse up to it anyway. Currently looking @ used parts on eBay trying to find a bargain. The other issue I have is this is going to be built up to look just like you would expect a gaming pc to look so the green PCB on all the SuperMirco boards is a bit of a turnoff.

On 9/17/2018 at 3:26 AM, schoondoggy said:

SuperMicro makes way too many variants of their motherboards. You need to confirm part numbers features very closely. If you are open to used, I think this has the features you have listed: https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-SUPERMICRO-X10SLM-F-SYSTEM-MOTHERBOARD-WARRANTY/223132196688?epid=1707598449&hash=item33f3b71f50:g:GkQAAOSwerRbkARG:sc:USPSPriority!55016!US!-1

Any suggestions on CPU don't really want anything that draws too much power all i will be doing is running transmission a few dockers and plex. I am also limited to 6/7th gen CPUs due to the motherboard I picked up (MSI Z270M Mortar) Has everything I needed and also has the look I'm going for. So far I was looking at the Pentium G4600. Not sure if it makes any difference but I will be running from the onboard graphics since once the servers set up I will be running it without a monitor. Cheers

Will you be transcoding in Plex? If so, you may need more CPU. What are the Dockers doing? In addition to the number of them you have running you need to know what/how much resources they will consume. How much memory are you planning on using?