RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Umfriend

WSE2016 Noob Questions

Umfriend

Hi all, new here and WSE noob.

So I have a server running WHS2011 and I want to go WSE2016 (or WSE2019 if it will still offer client backups, web access etc.). So I installed a evaluation and am testing with old unused computers. Now I know that there are two things some talk about when using WSE in a SOHO setting: not joining the domain and not having WSE as the DNS server.

Now my question is basically this: I connected a client with defaults (so no hacks) and now I am wondering "why bother"? I don't understand what the reasoning is behind not joining the domain for instance. As far as I can tell, the user sees no difference between connecting to WSE2016 or WHS2011. But people are talking about it so there must be a catch I don't get.

Edit: My clients would be both fixed PCs as laptops which would have to be able to work on other networks (but not connected to other servers or anything).

Edited by Umfriend

Jason
Hi all, new here and WSE noob.
So I have a server running WHS2011 and I want to go WSE2016 (or WSE2019 if it will still offer client backups, web access etc.). So I installed a evaluation and am testing with old unused computers. Now I know that there are two things some talk about when using WSE in a SOHO setting: not joining the domain and not having WSE as the DNS server.

Now my question is basically this: I connected a client with defaults (so no hacks) and now I am wondering "why bother"? I don't understand what the reasoning is behind not joining the domain for instance. As far as I can tell, the user sees no difference between connecting to WSE2016 or WHS2011. But people are talking about it so there must be a catch I don't get.

Edit: My clients would be both fixed PCs as laptops which would have to be able to work on other networks (but not connected to other servers or anything).

Client backups and web access have been removed from WSE2019.