RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows Server Essentials 2019

Jason

I’m still on WSE12R2 and haven’t yet “upgraded” to WSE16. While my essentials server is largely a file server, Plex Media Server and client backup box, I’ve come to rely on it just being there running silently in a closet.

I suppose I could move to a very capable Drobo or QNAP device if it had enough processing power to transcode, but am not knowledgeable about these alternative devices. Now have all the more reason to monitor this thread more closely.

Am not surprised. Am sure most of us have prepared ourselves for the inevitable, but wasn’t looking forward to this day.

in my opinion "windows admin center" is no substitute for the essentials experience's dashboard. then there are things like backup and file history etc. If I'm still around in 2027 I will have worked out viable replacements :)

Saw this news passing by yesterday as well.
Still rocking 2012R2, and not really seeing any reason to upgrade tbh.....

But... After MS killed off the WHS platform, it seems I have to migrate to something else again at some point... Sigh...

I’m in same boat. Pretty sure I could migrate entirely to a NAS box of some sort, if I had no use for Plex Media Server video transcoding. Though I’m doing less of it over time, it’s still a need currently.

For me it's the ease of use of all data between all devices in the house, PC/Mac or Android.
Also running a handfull of applications on the server directly (e.g. Calibre), and a handful of applications directly from the server to the desktop. And the fact I can make easy daily backups of PC drives is a godsend.

Last time I looked into all this on the basis of a regular Windows/PC install as a server, there were so many hoops to jump through, and with all the software involved it was more expensive.

We'll see what happens, and like I said, no need to move on for the moment.

Agree. I have wondered whether worthwhile to upgrade from WSE12R2 to WSE16. Just to be more “current.” Have read forums where people have successfully done an in-place update of one to the other. There’s always a server backup to restore if unsuccessful.