RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New WHS build - Folder access/backup

Ravi

I am newbie that just finished the build of a WHS using the rosewill 8 bay enclosure and put in 4 X 2Tb hard drives.

My question is that I am able to access the shared folders from other computers on the network and map them to a specific drive name like 'F' drive for the videos shared folder .

But my question is , how do I map directly to one of the 4 drives on the Rosewill enclosure instea of a shared folder ?

ALso , if I store all the videos on drive1 and Pictures on other drive2 , how can I setup a backup of these two drives to Drive 3, 4 ?

Sorry for the stupid questions , but I am not an expert on RAID :)

When I first read this there are a number of things that are wrong assumptions.

1. WHS at this time is not using RAID. If you have a WHS v1 box you are using Drive Extender (unless you did not add your drives to the pool). If you are using Vail you may still be using DE for now.

2. If you added all your drives to the pool, then you can not (and should not) access the individual drives. However, if you have placed drives into the server and not added them to the pool you can go in and assign a drive letter to them, turn on sharing on that drive and then you can access them like any other shared drive on a network. Not advised but can be done.

3. The only way to specify that videos are on drive 1 and pictures on drive 2 is to not add the drives to the pool on the server. You would now be using these drives just like any other drive in a PC. To back up those drives to drives 3 and 4 would require some other software to do it.

All you questions are indicating you could use Windows XP or Windows 7 and just add drives to a chassis. If you have selected WHS then why not use the primary feature that we all love (Drive Extender)? If you add your drives to the pool in the server then it will look like 1 large storage space that contains all your shares (video, pictures, music, etc.). Then you can turn on duplication. WHS will manage the duplication of the specified shares by placing a copy on another physical disk in your pool. It will do this automatically for you and you don't have to set up anything special. Then you can take advantage of another WHS feature and perform a periodic backup of really critical files to a removal drive that you store off site.

You don't seem to be trying to use the features of WHS at all. Is this because you aren't sure how it work?

Let us know...we are here to help!!!

Kenny

I understand a little now that you explained this stuff . I have already given the names to the individual drives E - H .

My setup is like this

1) WHS installed on a PC with a PCI card with the sata port replicator that came with the Rosewill 8 bay

2) 4 X 2TB drives in the rosewill bay attached to the sata ports of the PCI card on the WHS server .

I also a HTPC in another room that is connected thru network to the shared folders in the WHS . Initially i was looking at the space in the shared folders and saw the small space and thought I should access the individual drives .

AS you explained , when I look at the Drive 'D' properties it now shows me a space of 8 TB where all the shared drives as well and I think that answered my question .

So as you said , I can use the replicator options on each shared folder and a backup will be created somewhere on the other drives ?

This is where My confusion is . The shared folders are not tied to a specified drive E thru H and if there is a failure on Drive E , can I recover the data from other drives or WHS automatically knows where to get the backup data from ? .

I thought like in RAID , it would do a drive to drive backup and looks like it doesnt as you said .... Is that a correct assumption .

Once again thanks for taking time to answer this stuff

Kenny

I understand a little now that you explained this stuff . I have already given the names to the individual drives E - H .

My setup is like this

1) WHS installed on a PC with a PCI card with the sata port replicator that came with the Rosewill 8 bay

2) 4 X 2TB drives in the rosewill bay attached to the sata ports of the PCI card on the WHS server .

I also a HTPC in another room that is connected thru network to the shared folders in the WHS . Initially i was looking at the space in the shared folders and saw the small space and thought I should access the individual drives .

AS you explained , when I look at the Drive 'D' properties it now shows me a space of 8 TB where all the shared drives as well and I think that answered my question .

So as you said , I can use the replicator options on each shared folder and a backup will be created somewhere on the other drives ?

This is where My confusion is . The shared folders are not tied to a specified drive E thru H and if there is a failure on Drive E , can I recover the data from other drives or WHS automatically knows where to get the backup data from ? .

I thought like in RAID , it would do a drive to drive backup and looks like it doesnt as you said .... Is that a correct assumption .

Once again thanks for taking time to answer this stuff

MY recommendattion is that you put all the drives into the pool and not separate. Makes things safer and easier. To answer your question, any folder that you enalble duplication on will put the data onto two separate physical drives and will protect your data. If folder duplcation is OFF, you are suject to drive failure just as a single drive is. I would suggest that you pool all your drives, enable duplication on stuff you do not want to loose, and leave off duplication on things like movie rips and other non-critical data. WHS is straight forward and separating drives will open you up to all kinds of issues including possible data loss.