RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Trig0r

Looking for a NAS

Trig0r

So, I'm off over to Atlanta at Christmas, and the bro in law is looking at upgrading stuff..

I've already pointed him at the Surface line rather than a Macbook Pro, suggested he keeps his iPhones rather than move to Android, and now he's finally looking at a proper place to dump his files..

Ideally, I want something that can survive a drive failure, will talk to his Sonos/iTunes library, has a tool for Windows/OSx for silent backups, does email alerts, file system that'll allow him to pull drives and plug them into a PC in the same way as Drivepool does, has the ability to cloud or ftp sync stuff so he can have an extra backup of certain folders/files to a cloud service or to my server here in the UK, file/folder duplication, again in the same way that Drivepool does, link with his OneDrive/Dropbox so pictures taken on phones will sync with the cloud and to his NAS, VPN so he can drop onto the NAS remotely.

I'm kinda thinking I need to talk to him about his requirements again as I'm pretty much at the point where I'm thinking Microserver, however it has been about 4 years since I have properly looked at NAS devices so maybe there's something that'll do his needs..

ShadowPeo

I know a Synology can do pretty much all that, pulling the drive and sticking it in a PC however, that's a no-go without some serious Linux interaction

schoondoggy

Any idea how much capacity is needed?

Trig0r
4 hours ago, ShadowPeo said:

I know a Synology can do pretty much all that, pulling the drive and sticking it in a PC however, that's a no-go without some serious Linux interaction

yeah figured that would be the case, spoilt by the guys at Stablebit I guess :D

3 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

Any idea how much capacity is needed?

Not at the minute, still an ongoing conversation, I'd like him to have something in place ready for when I get there and then I can just set it up rather than still being in the position of needing to go out and buy the kit or wait for delivery etc..

ShadowPeo

Go a Synology, can always get an advance RMA, or worst case scenario they are easy to obtain another one

Trig0r

Cheers, will start to look at options, I'd like a 3/4 bay but he's thinking 2 for cost reasons, I've already told him to think about how much space he needs and then double it..

richu75

I just jumped on the synology boat (if you don’t count the old 211j I was gifted).

Opted towards the 918+, it can later be expanded with a five bay extention unit (dx517). There is also a 2bay unit with extention possiblities, the 718+.

Trig0r

I was looking at the 718, that 3 bay might be an interesting alternative, he's not bothered about Plex as he's got streaming services for media consumption and running VM's isn't on the cards.

ShadowPeo
4 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

Hard to go wrong with Synology or QNAP. This QNAP three bay is interesting for the money. RAID5 is a little scary. I would like to see rebuild times for 6TB vs 8TB vs 10TB,,,,, 

https://www.servethehome.com/qnap-ts-328-3-bay-low-cost-raid-5-capable-nas/

The issue with RAID 5 depending on the size of the disks is that there is a high chance of failure to rebuild due to a URE on an array once it is 12TB, this is a function of the number of sectors and utilises the data from the manufacturers as to the rates of UREs.  Now I must state that I have not done the math to validate, nor have I done the math on more modern drives compared to when the article came out but you should get the idea

https://www.zdnet.com/article/why-raid-6-stops-working-in-2019/