RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Attaching DVD/Blu-ray drive to EX495

Mike

Hello and Happy New Year to everyone. Does anyone know of a good DVD/Blu-ray drive (external) that you can attach to a ex495? I'm in the process of getting my WHS ready so I can rip my dvds and blu-ray movies to it. I plan on using the My Movies add-in and media center add-on. Has anyone done this (attach a dvd/blu-ray drive to there HP MSS WHS? Thanks for the info.

/Mike Biel

I'm still looking for my perfect DVD drive. As I mentioned on a previous podcast, I'm looking for a black, slot loading 1 cable slim external DVD drive that I can cut a hole on the side of my EX49x and mount the drive. Something like the silver Mac external DVD drive.

John (homeservershow).

I'll be connecting it through the USB port and do not want to use 2 USB connections if I can help it.

Some drives have 1 cable with 2 USB connections, 1 for data & power, the other for more power. Some have 1 data & USB cable and a 2nd USB cable for power. Others can use a single miniUSB cable that supplies data & power.

John (homeservershow).

@lordfoul: Thanks for the info. I'm looking at the Plextor B310U, as I don't need to write BD's. I found it at NewEgg.com.

Now I need to find out if it will work attached to an HP MSS ex495.

/Mike Biel