RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Want to build new Home Server based on ESXi, have a few questions

salamihawk

On 9/9/2018 at 7:06 PM, mattb75 said:

If it all goes ok let me know, not sure of the life of a USB boot for ESXi so at some point I’m going to have to bite the bullet and do a clean install on another USB drive so if I can go straight to 6.7 that will save me a load of recovery time!!!

I did a clean install of 6.7 and 5.6 U2 (Lenovo specific build); both came up with PCI unsupported hardware during install (which I tracked to network cards (the on board 8254 and an Intel Pro MT 1000) but it all seems to work just fine after installing. It doesn't have any CIM or IPMI working, but I'm not sure that the TS140 supports either, so no major shock there!

I haven't had time to do much playing yet, but it seems to be OK.

Hi there

I also ended up doing a clean install of 6.7 over the weekend. I ended up with a non-responsive GUI on Saturday morning and whilst all the VM’s were still running I couldn’t log in to restart the SNMP daemon following its regular 3am failure.

All seemed to install ok, to be honest I didn’t watch the install progress screen but it completed after selecting the destination location without issue.

All seems to be running ok, although the SNMP service continues to fail overnight again - its a known bug in 6.7 with no workaround currently.

Think I’ll just have to disable SNMP alerting on my LibreNMS monitoring machine for ESXi until they fix it if I get locked out again!

I don't know much about SNMP; Google suggests it's a kind of network performance tracker / analyser. I'm curious how / why you have it set up in a home network environment?

Stats.

You can analyse stats automaticly and prevent bottlenecks or performance issues before they become problematic.

For instance, SNMP can read traffic on certain network equipment, so you know you need additional links for data transfers. Or free disk space on your server, it’ll warn you before the disk is full.

• Thanks 1

Not really sure how I got started with SNMP!

It’s a protocol / service which provides status updates on network, disk, cpu and storage metrics for all my physical and virtual servers as well as router and access points.

Using LibreNMS’s pre-configured image I can also use Weathermap to look at amount of traffic passing around the network and also capture any syslog details from any devices which provide it.

It’s probably (it is definitely!) overkill - I can generally tell if something has failed without it, but it’s occasionally useful if something is playing up as you can see patterns in the stats easier in the visualisations.

• Thanks 1

ok, cool. so running LibreNMS in a VM on ESXi with SNMP turned on (assuming it gets fixed to stop crashing at 0300) would be a good way to monitor the underlying hardware of the ESXi host for network, disk, cpu and storage metrics. Does it cover SMART data from disks too?

Hiya, sorry for delay - needed to get in front of a PC rather than my phone to grab a usable image!

Here's a snapshot of the GUI from LibreNMS monitoring ESXi on a TS140, and another grab for my Unifi USG Gateway/Router

It's showing Processor, Memory, Storage and Networking utilisation.  Unfortunately it doesn't give you underlying SMART stats as they aren't passed through due to no IPMI.

Each of the charts you can drill down to see time ranges from 6 hours through to 2 years

On a side SNMP note, I didn't get the 3am failure on ESXi last night. I'd switched off a load of VM's late evening, so I now need to troubleshoot what each of those machines usually does around 2-3am and see if that's the cause of the issue.  Hopefully there's some insight in LibreNMS on hard drive / processor / network utilisation which will help pinpoint the problem machine/s.

Librenms - Main.jpg

Librenms - Router.jpg

Awesome - thanks. The lack of IPMI on the TS140 is a bit frustrating, but I'm thinking that I'm going to have to go down the ESXi route as it seems the best way. And in fact it's no worse from a monitoring perspective than I am on hyper-v either!
What ISO / image did you use to the install libreNMS? I saw there are some pre built virtual box images, but nothing for ESXi. And not really having any *nix experience, it might take me a while to get it going on Ubuntu!!

Awesome - thanks. The lack of IPMI on the TS140 is a bit frustrating, but I'm thinking that I'm going to have to go down the ESXi route as it seems the best way. And in fact it's no worse from a monitoring perspective than I am on hyper-v either!
What ISO / image did you use to the install libreNMS? I saw there are some pre built virtual box images, but nothing for ESXi. And not really having any *nix experience, it might take me a while to get it going on Ubuntu!!

You can import the virual box images in vmware workstation and then move it to vsphere.

Or look at turnkey linux observium, another nms. They offer an ova to import into vsphere:

79d2e58edcfcc2698e5a95ae63ac21ea.png