RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
salamihawk

Want to build new Home Server based on ESXi, have a few questions

cocksy

You can import the virual box images in vmware workstation and then move it to vsphere.

Or look at turnkey linux observium, another nms. They offer an ova to import into vsphere

Thanks for the info - can you import / export in the free version of VMware workstation, or does it need the pro version?

Will take a look at observuim too. Cheers!

mattb75

No need to use Workstation - It's been a while since I installed LibreNMS now, but believe I downloaded the 4.0GB VMDK disk image, then configured a Linux VM using the VMDK as an existing disk rather than creating a new disk.

I've skipped backwards and forwards between Cacti, Observium, PRTG and LibreNMS over the years - LibreNMS has an iOS app to connect into the platform, from  Rich's post it looks like Observium have got better now at native mobile browser viewing - LibreNMS still isn't great but I found it better at identifying the more consumer devices.

(There's a lot of negativity ref the Observium guy and his abuse of consumers using the community version of his product and expecting support of the cheaper end of the network device products - particularly wifi!)

• Like 1

cocksy

Thanks all - I'll take a look over the weekend. Cheers!

• Like 1

mattb75

Quick heads-up to help with the installation.

Upload the VDMK file to a datastore.

Create a new VM - note you'll need to change the default VM version settings to an older version

On the settings config page add an existing hard drive and navigate to the uploaded VMDK file location

Remove the other hard drive the create wizard adds

Adjust your memory / cpu to suit (i use 1 vCPU and 2GB)

Power up and you're good to go!!

VMWare Install - VMConfig.jpg

VMWare Install - VMConfig2.jpg

• Like 1

cocksy

Quick heads-up to help with the installation.

Upload the VDMK file to a datastore.
Create a new VM - note you'll need to change the default VM version settings to an older version
On the settings config page add an existing hard drive and navigate to the uploaded VMDK file location
Remove the other hard drive the create wizard adds
Adjust your memory / cpu to suit (i use 1 vCPU and 2GB)
Power up and you're good to go!!

Thanks. Do you know which version of VM it needs to b changed to?

mattb75

I put it on the screen grab - set to 4.x which is the lowest 6.7 will allow you to go to.

It may work on a higher one (perhaps to 5 - I’ve never tried) but it definitely doesn’t work on 6.7 as the disk image doesn’t recognise the new versions of ESXi

• Like 1

cocksy
I put it on the screen grab - set to 4.x which is the lowest 6.7 will allow you to go to.

It may work on a higher one (perhaps to 5 - I’ve never tried) but it definitely doesn’t work on 6.7 as the disk image doesn’t recognise the new versions of ESXi
Missed that in the picture! Thanks!
  • Like 1