RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

RESET 48 - Cord Cutting

Dave this was the most relevant Reset in a while for me.

I'm in the midst of cord-cutting hell!  Here's my dilemma (which sounds similar to yours in some ways):

I've had DirecTV for a looooong time - first subscribed in 1997 in Jacksonville, FL as a way to get Packer games down there.  I married into a Wisconsin family with Packer season tickets so my conversion to Obligatory Packer-Fan was not an option!  To be honest, it's been easy to BE a Packer fan for most of those years (Favre, Rodgers).

As you may remember we now live in Denver.  We still have DirecTV and have the setup where there is one dish, one main receiver (DVR) and it streams to the other three TVs we have in the house on their system.  But I'm trying to CUT cords, not add to my monthly bill.

One of my kids has left the nest (graduated from College - full adult) and she watched the most TV in the house.  The other kid has a PS4 and streams Netflix, Amazon Prime and Crunchyroll on his basement TV. I don't watch much TV except when I get hooked on a show and binge but that's either Netflix or Amazon.

This leaves my wife, who watches a fair amount of HGTV, History, Discover as well as news (Bloomberg, CNN, MSNBC).

With this setup I've been wondering if I can cut the cord and reduce the $$ we are laying out every month.

I researched and eventually settled on DirecTV Now.  This was based on the mix of channels she watches. 

It was offered with an Apple TV and Remote.

Long story shor,t, my wife HATED it!  There's no "Previous" button, the Apple TV didn't seem to always record what you wanted, navigating was a nightmare, and in two days (!) she stopped using it and wanted the old DirecTV back.  She loves her iPhone and iPad, but not Apple TV!

Mind you, this was the old DirecTV that I found way to pricey and she found very buggy.  Our receiver would lock up, reboot , and need updates far too frequently, and yet the navigation was soooooo slow and often seemed extremel;y buggy.  I've considered Hulu, Sling, and others, only to have them not record the news shows my wife wants to see in the morning.

I'm considering other services like Sling, Roku or Plex.  Just subscribing to ALL of those seems excessive

Anyone else had a similar experience and figured a way out of this morass?

BSR

• Like 1

http://reset.fm/48

I recently heard my name on another podcast concerning some cord cutting options so I thought I would share my recent trials in that area.  I've tried a few over the years.  Here is an update.  Have a listen and let's discuss! 

What is your cord cutter solution and why?

16 hours ago, BSR said:

Dave this was the most relevant Reset in a while for me.

I'm in the midst of cord-cutting hell!  Here's my dilemma (which sounds similar to yours in some ways):

I've had DirecTV for a looooong time - first subscribed in 1997 in Jacksonville, FL as a way to get Packer games down there.  I married into a Wisconsin family with Packer season tickets so my conversion to Obligatory Packer-Fan was not an option!  To be honest, it's been easy to BE a Packer fan for most of those years (Favre, Rodgers).

As you may remember we now live in Denver.  We still have DirecTV and have the setup where there is one dish, one main receiver (DVR) and it streams to the other three TVs we have in the house on their system.  But I'm trying to CUT cords, not add to my monthly bill.

One of my kids has left the nest (graduated from College - full adult) and she watched the most TV in the house.  The other kid has a PS4 and streams Netflix, Amazon Prime and Crunchyroll on his basement TV. I don't watch much TV except when I get hooked on a show and binge but that's either Netflix or Amazon.

This leaves my wife, who watches a fair amount of HGTV, History, Discover as well as news (Bloomberg, CNN, MSNBC).

With this setup I've been wondering if I can cut the cord and reduce the $$ we are laying out every month.

I researched and eventually settled on DirecTV Now.  This was based on the mix of channels she watches. 

It was offered with an Apple TV and Remote.

Long story shor,t, my wife HATED it!  There's no "Previous" button, the Apple TV didn't seem to always record what you wanted, navigating was a nightmare, and in two days (!) she stopped using it and wanted the old DirecTV back.  She loves her iPhone and iPad, but not Apple TV!

Mind you, this was the old DirecTV that I found way to pricey and she found very buggy.  Our receiver would lock up, reboot , and need updates far too frequently, and yet the navigation was soooooo slow and often seemed extremel;y buggy.  I've considered Hulu, Sling, and others, only to have them not record the news shows my wife wants to see in the morning.

I'm considering other services like Sling, Roku or Plex.  Just subscribing to ALL of those seems excessive

Anyone else had a similar experience and figured a way out of this morass?

BSR

I've never been a big fan of the Apple TV but people certainly love it.  I've gone the Roku route and it seems to have all we need so far.  Take a look at the Sling offering.  I think it may have you covered except for the Discover channel?  I'm not sure but someone can update us.

I try to remind anyone that asks me about the topic that there will always be compromise somewhere. Whether that is having multiple services to save money, or sacrificing a special channel or two.  Our household did well with it and my compromise was to purchase the season package of anything I wanted to watch. ie The Walking Dead.  Grid guide may be a compromise that you CANT do!  My family cannot live without it!

Good topic. We still have little ones in the house who primarily watch cartoons, Netflix and movies served from Plex Media Server. Use whole house TiVo setup over Ethernet (cablecard main DTB). Is better than anything our cable company provides. Needless to say, we’ve not really cut the cord. If it weren’t for the kiddos, don’t know that we’d even subscribe to cable TV at all, but rely almost exclusively on streaming. Even still, while not perfect by any means, TiVo seems to offer the best, most intuitive whole home experience. It’s $14.99/mo for main TiVo, the media extenders have no monthly fee and CableCARD rental is $1.99/mo for that single box...plus your cable service package of course.

Well the DirecTV Now part of my "solution" was to get the channels she watches the most (MSNBC, HGTV, TLC) but the kicker was TLC which doesn't seem to be carried by ANY of the streaming companies EXCEPT DirecTV Now.  I was initially leaning Sling, but the lack of TLC made me shy away.

I still think DirecTV Now is probably the way to go, but with some other controller.  I may give Roku a shot, but am also considering Amazon FIre TV.  Anyone else have opinions on these?  If I can figure out the right controller I can give my 21yo DirecTV subscription the boot, which is my ultimate goal.

16 hours ago, Dave said:

http://reset.fm/48

I recently heard my name on another podcast concerning some cord cutting options so I thought I would share my recent trials in that area.  I've tried a few over the years.  Here is an update.  Have a listen and let's discuss! 

I've been a cord-cutter for a LONG time.  I cut the cord in 2010 when I realized that 90% of what my wife watched (and therefore me) was available over-the-air.  Paying that much for cable for what was available over the air was insane to me.  Even with keeping them for internet, it was $100/mo savings.

Windows Media Center running on a small PC in the living room with a remote control is what passed the wife-acceptance factor after some time.  She was resistance but understood the financial savings.  Went through different tuner options over the years and currently have both old and new Silicon Dust models in use.

I still think that WMC is the best solution out  there for the cable box replacement.  Unfortunately, due to it being pulled for anything after Win 7 and no support means it's on borrowed time.  Currently, running a Plex server for the backend.  Plexpass lifetime member here (bought it WAY back when when it was like $40). Roku boxes are the front-ends on every TV in the house but not really the best for live TV.  Functional but barely.  That needs to get sorted soon or the WAF is going to end.  Movies are ripped and both movies and TV shows are stored on a QNAP NAS.

I still think the Roku is the best set-top box out there.  For Amazon and Netflix, it works great and the interface is pretty nice.  Plex needs work.  Have a Logitech Harmony Hub with the nice little remote that does 99.9% of what we need so never need to touch the phone part of it.  

Keep fighting the fight!!!

http://reset.fm/48   I recently heard my name on another podcast concerning some cord cutting options so I thought I would share my recent trials in that area.  I've tried a few over the years.  Here is an update.  Have a listen and let's discuss!   

In my area, we have just gotten three new over the air tv stations, so we have all the major networks now 

I've gotten a channel master stream + android tv box and very pleased with it. Full android tv plus a dual tuner for using Google's live channel app for the tuning and dvr functions.

There is no ongoing charge for the channel guide. The only downside is that Netflix is not yet available, but I have my roku box for that.

With Netflix,Amazon prime and an ota dvr We have all the tv we could watch and only pay for netflix

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have a suggestion on a good outdoor hd antenna?   I have tried several and my $6.95 cheap one works as well.   Suggestions please...

since your cheap one works well why not stop with that? otherwise there are several dimensions of import here - clear distance to transmitters, number of directions to cover, and frequency bands used. If you are close and all the stations are on UHF nbd - most anything will work. In my area there is one lone station that has chosen to stay at VHF-Hi. I am also 30 miles out. I am sticking to attic based as it is not easy to do rooftop work in my place. For UHF I like the antennas that have a grid mesh plus 4 or 8 bowties in front of it. If you have to cover VHF-Hi and UHF I use and like the Clearstream C5.

so have a look at tvfool.com or antennaweb.org to see how much of an antenna is recommended in your area.

while I was revisiting antennaweb.org I saw that the FCC is making a bunch of  stations move to different channels so they can suck some more money out of our airwaves by selling them to the highest bidder.