RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
raphael99

Restore old backup client to new computer

raphael99

Hi I would like to know if using WHS 2011 I can restore an old backup client to a total different NEW computer.

If yes, is there any steps I would do to accomplish this task?

Thankis

nrf

are you talking bare metal restore or file-by-file? file restores should be no big deal once you join the system. bare metal is trickier. while you can choose a backup from any old client do you want what you get? hard to say how functional the machine will be with the drivers available on the image - see posts by people who have swapped out a failed motherboard with a totally different motherboard. and sometimes you have to fuss with the drive first to make sure the original partitions can be recreated.

raphael99

Hi NRF thanks for your time. I miss the meaning of bare metal restore, but from what I read it is I'm usually do when I need to restore the entire system.

That's what I'm looking at.

Anyway file by file , instead, so I can avoid to replace entire directory you mean that is possible? The system does not look for a NIC driver the same?

nrf

bare metal means restore a computer from nothing so the os etc will be from the old system's configuration. that might be ok or you might have issues. for example, maybe it won't have a driver for your new system's NIC but you  can add it manually from a usb key or something after the restore..

you might attempt this if you have some locked-in software on the old machine for which you don't have the media. no guarantees. but if you just need your personal files from the old machine and the new one already has a good OS you can recover just those files through a simpler process with less risk. or mount the disk from the old computer in the new one and copy disk to disk locally. depends on what you are attempting to accomplish.

Edited by nrf

raphael99

Thanks . it is clear now