RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Looking to upgrade, would you go Gen 8 or Gen 10?

xreyuk

Hi All, 

I'm looking to upgrade from my N54L. 

Would you go Gen 8 or Gen 10 for an upgrade?

I realise that the Gen 8 is upgradeable, but I'm not sure I'd have the money for the initial outlay of upgrading the CPU, so I'd be stuck with a Gen 8 CPU for a while.

The Gen10 in its top-spec guise is faster than any of the stock Gen8's, the Gen8, however, can be upgraded with better CPU's at a later date, nothing stopping you from running with a "lesser" CPU and then grabbing something on the bay at a later date.

The Gen10 is also missing parts that some see as pretty important, iLO for one, depends what your usage is likely to be though really..

If I were looking for a server now I'd get the Gen10, simply because I spent so long building my Gen8, waiting for the Gen9, then being disappointed by the Gen10 I'd already build a custom server, not had a Gen10 so would pick that...

What do you use the server for?

What OS are you going to use?

How much storage do you need?

What is your plan to configure the storage?

20 hours ago, Trig0r said:

The Gen10 in its top-spec guise is faster than any of the stock Gen8's, the Gen8, however, can be upgraded with better CPU's at a later date, nothing stopping you from running with a "lesser" CPU and then grabbing something on the bay at a later date.

The Gen10 is also missing parts that some see as pretty important, iLO for one, depends what your usage is likely to be though really..

If I were looking for a server now I'd get the Gen10, simply because I spent so long building my Gen8, waiting for the Gen9, then being disappointed by the Gen10 I'd already build a custom server, not had a Gen10 so would pick that...

iLO is not really important for me. Thanks! Usage is below.

18 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

What do you use the server for?

What OS are you going to use?

How much storage do you need?

What is your plan to configure the storage?

I currently use Debian. I have Plex, TVHeadend with an IPTV service on it, and both of these are feeding phones and PC's, both local and remote. I need the CPU power for the transcoding really as my old server can't handle a lot of the content, especially transcoding the IPTV feed for Plex.

I also use it as the following: 

Pi-Hole DNS server

Proxy for PS4

Samba server - I have 5 disks, the boot disk in the DVD Drive bay and 4 2TB drives in a software RAID array.

Local & remote backups - My Macbook backs up locally, and then it uploads all of my files to a cloud storage provider.

EPG for IPTV - It downloads and provides the EPG for Plex (and Kodi as I'm testing that) for the IPTV service.

My plan (which I think I can do) is to simply move the current disks in the way they're configured to the new server. From my understanding, using Debian, I can simply physically move everything across. 

The Gen 10 x3421 should give you the CPU performance you need. Is your boot drive 2.5" or 3.5"? You should be able to move your drives directly over. You will need to update drivers as the SATA controllers are different. One SATA port is part of the AMD chipset. The four front bays are on a Marvell SATA chip. You should do some pre-check to be sure your OS does not have issues with the Marvell.

23 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

The Gen 10 x3421 should give you the CPU performance you need. Is your boot drive 2.5" or 3.5"? You should be able to move your drives directly over. You will need to update drivers as the SATA controllers are different. One SATA port is part of the AMD chipset. The four front bays are on a Marvell SATA chip. You should do some pre-check to be sure your OS does not have issues with the Marvell.

Thanks. The boot drive is 2.5"

Do you know that the SATA controllers were on the N54L?

Would they not automatically be up to date as part of Debian, as I run updates on that weekly.

Edited by xreyuk

In a Windows world, OS updates are for the hardware that is installed, new hardware require new drivers. My Linux knowledge is limited, so I am not sure if the Marvell drivers are in the base kernel. The single SATA port, ODD port, is part of the AMD chipset and I assume it will boot with standard AHCI SATA drivers. I belive the SATA ports on the N54l are part of the AMD chipset.

If you move your drives to a MS Gen10, I think it will boot from your boot drive, but you may have to load the Marvell driver to get it to see the four front bay drives.

Also, the MS Gen10 has a UEFI BIOS, you will need to set it to boot from your boot drive. 

On 8/3/2018 at 8:40 PM, schoondoggy said:

In a Windows world, OS updates are for the hardware that is installed, new hardware require new drivers. My Linux knowledge is limited, so I am not sure if the Marvell drivers are in the base kernel. The single SATA port, ODD port, is part of the AMD chipset and I assume it will boot with standard AHCI SATA drivers. I belive the SATA ports on the N54l are part of the AMD chipset.

If you move your drives to a MS Gen10, I think it will boot from your boot drive, but you may have to load the Marvell driver to get it to see the four front bay drives.

Also, the MS Gen10 has a UEFI BIOS, you will need to set it to boot from your boot drive. 

Thanks!