RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Add-in recomendations

Mr Bill

Good day,

I am looking for input on what add-ins to install on a HP EX485 that I will be responsible for. It is for a non-profit organization that I help out. It will be at their office about an hour away from my location.

I have heard of an add-in that does remote notification that I am looking at adding to the unit.

What other add-ins would you recommend for this setup.

They are only going to be using the system for backups, file storage, and remote access to file storage on the server. They have no plans for using it for any type of media streaming services.

Thanks for your time.

Good day,

I am looking for input on what add-ins to install on a HP EX485 that I will be responsible for. It is for a non-profit organization that I help out. It will be at their office about an hour away from my location.

I have heard of an add-in that does remote notification that I am looking at adding to the unit.

What other add-ins would you recommend for this setup.

They are only going to be using the system for backups, file storage, and remote access to file storage on the server. They have no plans for using it for any type of media streaming services.

Thanks for your time.

1). Remote Notification. Alex Kuretz over at MediasmartServer.Net is responsible for that one. Link: Remote Notification

2). Advanced Admin Console. Allows easier access inside the console to see error logs and other technical info not available without remotely accessing the desktop. Link: Advanced Admin Console

3). WHS Health. Alex K. again and his buddy Nigel AKA Cougar. Allows you to see some aspects of server status over a cell phone with web browser. Link: WHS Health

4). Disk Management. A better interface for disk-related information. The author charges a small fee for this one. Link: Disk Management

5). Hamachi for remote access. This one is installed via remoting into the server, not the console, and is not an add-in. It adds an easy to configure VPN solution. It costs a few sheckels if you use it for business purposes, but is reasonable IMHO. Very handy for remote support. Link: Hamachi

6). If running a UPS, consider Grid Junction to control the UPS from inside the console. Link: Grid Junction

Wegotserved.Com and MediasmartServer.Net have good respositories for available add-ins. I suggest trolling the add-in sections of their sites to research other add-ins.

I'd start with these and move ahead accordingly. Welcome to the WHS world and let us know how these work out for you.

Jim

My suggestion is keep light. There is already a bunch of stuff on the HP units. UPS and Grid junction are great choices. Building on JamOhio's suggestion, you can use logmein which is free in lieu of remote access, hamachi, or Advanced Admin. Health notification is also helpful as it tells you when to check.

1). Remote Notification. Alex Kuretz over at MediasmartServer.Net is responsible for that one. Link: Remote Notification

2). Advanced Admin Console. Allows easier access inside the console to see error logs and other technical info not available without remotely accessing the desktop. Link: Advanced Admin Console

3). WHS Health. Alex K. again and his buddy Nigel AKA Cougar. Allows you to see some aspects of server status over a cell phone with web browser. Link: WHS Health

4). Disk Management. A better interface for disk-related information. The author charges a small fee for this one. Link: Disk Management

5). Hamachi for remote access. This one is installed via remoting into the server, not the console, and is not an add-in. It adds an easy to configure VPN solution. It costs a few sheckels if you use it for business purposes, but is reasonable IMHO. Very handy for remote support. Link: Hamachi

6). If running a UPS, consider Grid Junction to control the UPS from inside the console. Link: Grid Junction

Wegotserved.Com and MediasmartServer.Net have good respositories for available add-ins. I suggest trolling the add-in sections of their sites to research other add-ins.

I'd start with these and move ahead accordingly. Welcome to the WHS world and let us know how these work out for you.

Jim

Forgot an important one: BDBB. It takes backups of the backup database. Link: BDBB

PCDOC runs light, I run about 12-15 add-ins to extend functionality. For someone else's box that you are supporting, being closer to PCDOC is better than running a dozen add-ins! IMHO, these are the "best of breed" that will enhance the experience and your support capability the most. Check them out and have fun! Oh and Hamachi is a must if you are remotely supporting.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

One I always recommend is adminime from asoft, written by Nick Asseloos.

It monitors the server for all kinds of issues (memory,cpu,disks,event viewer,...) and provides nice graphs/stats.

Personally it has already proven itself for me; for example last month some process was constantly burning CPU; nothing seemed wrong on the outside of the machine but I got a mail warning me and acted upon that.

Jerry