RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Best nas software for N54L

stretch

I've got an N54L which i'm looking to use for network storage at a datacentre. It only needs support basic protocols i.e NFS, SSHFS and only a single server will be able to connect to it. I'm having trouble which nas os would be best for this and unsure whether to use hardware or software raid. I would like to install the os on a usb flash stick and have the 4 drives for holding data. What would people recommend?

freenas

nas4free

xpenology

rockstor

openfiler

nexenta

openmediavault

Edited by stretch

Why do you want RAID, fault tolerance or performance? Will you need error/event notification? How will you manage it in the data centre? If it is only being accessed by one server, why NAS, why not DAS?

Raid mainly for tolerance bit performance is a factor also. It would be nice to have email alerts for degraded storage etc. Was thinking Nas due to having the n54l spare and availability of software 

Edited by stretch

I installed OpenMediaVault on mine just yesterday and seems to be running smooth. I'm impressed to be honest and would recommend it further.

• 1 year later...

FreeNAS or XigmaNAS (formerly NAS4Free).  If you go with either of these do not use hardware RAID.  Put the SATA ports in AHCI mode and let the OS do the RAID via ZFS.