RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Media Browser or MyMovies

CablDeViL

Hello all.

I currently have MB installed on my HTPC and it works ok most of the time and looks great. But I was thinking of going with Mymovies on the WHS and use the client on the HTPC and the (GULP) iPad app to play and remote control the HTPC. I liked what Dave said on the last podcast about the MyMovies integration.

Any thoughts? Since I am still waiting for my main LCD to get repaired (T Con board) I have some time to play with my current set up.

Thank You

CD

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• diehard

• usacomp2k3

• CablDeViL

• eagle63

I have never used MB so I can't compare the two. However, I know I will never install MM on my WHS again. Ever since I installed it on my server, things slowed down and I have had intermittent issues with it. I don't know if it is the MM app or the SQL server it installs. So if you play with MM I suggest you install it on your MC machine.

My Movies is a more difficult install, cross your fingers that everything works. MyMovies uses a SQL database and that makes the cover art and backgrounds all load faster than Meta Browser, but MM does not do TV Series, that's bigger for me. Also, yeah, the ipad interface is nice now that it's also a remote. It was not a remote before. Meta Browser allows for plugins, I have a XBMC skin. If you pay for MM you will get the ripping stuff, but you have to lay out a bunch of cash for AnyDVD.

They both have pro's and con's :blink: .

And as of yesterday, Slysoft the publisher of AnyDVD, no longer has a lifetime license for AnyDVD.

As such, the subscription fee for AnyDVD is recurring, although the product does work well. Glad I

already have a lifetime license for all their products.

I'd say install both and see how it goes.

I used mymovies for a long time, but for the last year i've been using media browser exclusivly, handles all my movies and tv in one, and options for skinning and customizations are extensive, and with a new version only a few days away, would be a good time to jump in.

I just upped my subscription with Slysoft from yearly to lifetime on Sunday, I use AnyDVD HD A lot... I am using MB now and love the look of it but for the cover art take some time to populate and its a little buggy (I have to kill the cover art and have it rebuild it from time to time).

I did donate also, so I get the goodies.

Again I was thinking of trying my movies for the trans-coding to the Ipad / 360 and the app.

@deadspeak - I didn't know there was a new version of MB coming out I will have to look at the info tonight. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to WHS and am trying to make a decision on MM or MB too. If I'm understanding the details correctly, it looks like My Movies is a server-side solution right? In other words, it sits on your home server and downloads the meta-data for your movies. After that any windows media center client who connects to that movies folder now has loads of great images, data, etc, about the movies. Whereas MB is a client-side app, and therefore if you have multiple windows media center machines in your house you'd need to install MB on each one. Do I have that right?

If yes, I like idea of My Movies better - at least in terms of the architecture.

My movies actually does both sides. They have a client for the Media Center interface, and they also have a server half that does the metadata collecting. This latter part can be used by other services, like you have mentioned, so you are about 70% correct.

My movies actually does both sides. They have a client for the Media Center interface, and they also have a server half that does the metadata collecting. This latter part can be used by other services, like you have mentioned, so you are about 70% correct.

Thanks for the quick reply. I guess I'm a little confused then, because even though I do see that My Movies has a client that you can install on your media center box, my interpretation of the website was that it was optional - and that even without it your built-in "Movies" group in media center would still take advantage of the metadata provided by My Movies on the home server. I could very well have read that wrong, however.