RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Thoughts - re-build - Server 2016 - RAID or Storage Spaces

xPETEZx

After some thoughts and opinions on my planned rebuild of my Microserver G8.

The options are as follows:

Using B120i

1x 120GB SSD as boot drive in ODD slot 

1x 400GB SSD in Slot 1 for VMs

1x 2TB drive Lone Drive

2x 4TB RAID 1

Setup as SATA, as I cant leave hte OS drive in the ODD bay, needs to be on port 0:

1x 400GB SSD as both OS drive AND VMs drive

1x 2TB Drive 

2x 4TB in Storage Spaces Mirror using ReFS

My head says I should stick to what I know and go with option of B120i. Thats basically how it has been setup for years without issue.

But a little part of me wants to try out the Storage Spaces instead.

Downside being I cant really use the ODD bay as I do now. Cant boot from that in SATA mode.

I could put my VM drive up there, but was thinking of just dropping the separation and putting it on the same drive as the OS.

I understand the Slot 5 port is only SATA2, not 3, so I loose speed from the SSD using it.

Another config I have kinda elimated, would be to run a RAID1 using the B120i for the Boot/VM drive too. (I have another 400GB SSD I could use for this)

But not sure if doing a RAID1 between port 5 and any other is worth it? 

Anybody done the storage spaces? Worth the change?

Or stick to the B120i?

Thanks for thoughts guys!

I'm not sure how Windows OSes work, but with GNU Linux, I was able to put the /boot partition on a USB drive and boot from that, while the rest of the OS is on an SSD in the ODD bay. With GNU, the boot partition is small so this is possible and not very risky, but I'm not sure if you can do something similar in Windows.

I did read about a method of doing it for windows, but to be honest I want a simple stable solution for this as far as booting the OS is concerned.

I am leaning towards just keeping things simple and sticking to RAID1 off the B120i, I know it works and has been trouble free.

However, would love to hear from anybody that has taken the jump and gone with Storage Spaces. 

• 2 weeks later...
I did read about a method of doing it for windows, but to be honest I want a simple stable solution for this as far as booting the OS is concerned.

I am leaning towards just keeping things simple and sticking to RAID1 off the B120i, I know it works and has been trouble free.

However, would love to hear from anybody that has taken the jump and gone with Storage Spaces. 
I been using a mirrored storage spaces dual drive setup in my main machine as a local data sync destination , mostly just to test it out. No issues but no advantages over other methods.

Microsoft has been silent on storage spaces. I would be concerned about doing anything more sophisticated, as this may be an orphaned feature with little or no support in the future .

Check out the many wonderful posts on drivepool. Great software, especially if you want a low hassle setup and administration

Thanks for response.

I decided to just stick to RAID1 on the B120i. Figured its tried and tested.

Also now gone with RAID1 for my OS drive, so got some security incase of disk failure their now too.

Am keen to try the Storage Spaces stuff, but seems not many are yet.

Will see how it develops.