RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Upgrade using Homeserver restore

Kernowman

I found that since I started using WHS, I have pulled drives or reduced the capacity of my PC in favor of the home server.

I never tried restoring a laptop wirelessly, not sure if it's posible. Welcome to the forums and feel free to post your questions.

John (homeservershow).

I cannot restore my laptop via wireless, probable due to the fact that the wireless connection is not running during restore. And that's apparently due to the fact that no wireless drivers are provided on the restore CD. But, if you wanted to try wireless, there's a point early on in the process where you can provide drivers from a USB flash.

If you could get wireless up and running, and see your server, you probably could do a wireless restore, but it'd be dog-slow.

To restore via wireless, you will need to use the trick of pulling the drivers off of the backup. Then it should work fine.

"Here comes the HomeServer section: I am planning on installing a new drive and then restoring from the Home Server using the Restore Disk. I assume that I have to connect to the network using a wire connection rather than the wireless connection that i use for the network usually but will this work"

Yes you can restore to a new bigger drive using the restore disk, I do it all the time via a wired connection. It's the easiest way to upgrade to a new disk.

enjoy,

You can do what you are wanting to do but I would do it wired. Just make sure you run a backup of the system before you remove the drive so you have the latest image to restore from. WHS is perfect for this type of upgrade.

fasthair