RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

.mkv and Media Center

dvn

Is there a way to get .mkv movies to work with Media Center?

I just bought a blu-ray player with Netflix and other capabilities. The Netflix streaming quality is much better than with my HTPC. The problem is that the player can't play my movies which are ripped to .vob folder structures without a 5 second interruption between each individual .vob file. One compatible format is .mkv, which I remember people giving a thumbs up. Anyone know if this can be done, and is there a straightforward way to do it? Thanks guys.

*Oh, and if this is a bad idea, tell me. Looking around, I'm not seeing consistent thumbs up on this. But maybe one of you know something that others don't.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• usacomp2k3

• dvn

• awraynor

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

What other formats can it play? WTV is the only format that works really well in Media Center, but pretty much isn't playable on any other devices. Might want to choose 1 or the other.

Samsung BD-C6500 - I've already updated the firmware.

These are the supported formats:

• MPEG-2
  • H.164
  • VC-1
  • AVCHD
  • DIVX HD
  • MKV
  • MP4
  • WMV9
  • 3GPP
  • HD JPEG

For whatever reason, the movie I just converted to .mkv wouldn't play - unsupported format.

I'm going to try .mp4.

What is WTV?

WTV is the file container that Windows 7 (and vista with TV Pack) uses for recorded TV. It fully supports HD, MPEG2/MPEG4, 5.1 AC3 (dolby digital) audio.

I'll tell you.The movies list presentation when using Media Browser with Media Center on the HTPC is just beautiful. But after seeing how much better Netflix looks with a Blu-ray player, I'm back to wondering how to get the best of everything in one single box. And that's the goal. I understand that WD TV Live Plus plays folder structure without a problem, so that would save me the trouble of converting 100+ movies, and its Netflix streaming rivals Roku. But the movies list will look sad compared with Media Browser. Now I heard someone, maybe one of the BYOB guys, mention the WD Live TV Hub. Now if that looks better than the WD TV Live Plus, I could go for that. See, I getting a LED-LCD TV for the bedroom and I need to either find a box I can deal with or get another HTPC. I'd rather get a box because it's cheaper.

I originally went with folder structure because Media Center would play them and I could do it for free with DVDFab. But maybe I should have gone with another format. Honestly, I don't know a lot about these things. I pick up from you guys on what to do. And I'll take suggestions. If I'm going to change up things, I suppose the sooner the better. So if you have ideas, let me know. Basically, I want to be able to stream movies and music from my server, and Netflix. I'd like the interface to look as good as possible, and I have to be able to browse Netflix, not just be limited to the queue.

I have a similar problem. I "had" a 50" TV in the living room until today and was planning an HTPC to stream from the server and enjoy all the goodness of mymovies or media browser. My wife however wanted a tidier setup which is a 32" TV in a media cabinet instead, with no room for an HTPC. I have a Roku box, but want to stream from the server. I had already wished I had gone with WD TV Live hub, but still wonder how it presents the movies that have been ripped to the server?

I have a similar problem. I "had" a 50" TV in the living room until today and was planning an HTPC to stream from the server and enjoy all the goodness of mymovies or media browser. My wife however wanted a tidier setup which is a 32" TV in a media cabinet instead, with no room for an HTPC. I have a Roku box, but want to stream from the server. I had already wished I had gone with WD TV Live hub, but still wonder how it presents the movies that have been ripped to the server?

Yes, well I'm off to return the Blu-ray player and pick up either the Hub or the Plus. I'll let you know what I see. From the little reading I did over at anandtech, it seems that the Hub is perhaps more open to greater feature upgrades and additions. I'm just not sure I really want a device with a fan and spinning hard drive just for that. I have to think this over.

Pretty much. I need another device to perform the functions of the HTPC to go with the new bedroom TV. If I can spend $100-200 instead of twice that, that's the way I'll go. Now if I can get better Netflix quality with the HTPC, then I'll stick with that. But the difference is night and day, which surprised me. And yes, both HTPC and Blu-ray player were wired Ethernet when I A/B'd them.