RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Abula

Issues with filesharing on local network between Windows 10 1803 and Windows 7

JackoUK

SMB 1.0 is an insecure legacy component which should be avoided.

The introduction of SMB 3.0 in Windows 8 was one of the major advances in the OS.

This is most definitely a fault in 1803.

It occurs to me after my (accidental) test of upgrading a machine from 1507 - where shares on 1803 devices were at least visible from the 1507 device - that the fault lies on the receive side of things.

Trig0r

Yeh, I didnt say it was a good thing, I simply suggested it as an avenue to research...

Abula

Thanks to all that have participated on this thread, its been one of the most frustrating things that has happen to me under windows over the last 10 years.

I tried all the suggestions,

I tried the //COMPUTERNAME/SHAREFOLDER

Still the same issue with the error, its more like it doesnt negotiate the credentials.

I also tried the services.msc --> Function Discovery Resource Publication to Automatic

No luck, same error still.

What really worked was schoondoggy suggestion on the thread linked to do a mapping of the shared folder by slicendice.

Instantly, the drive appeared as a share, and now even my network can see the folder below the computer, its like now it does negotiate the credentials and sharing properly.

The only thing i didn't try, but i will as some point is turning on SMBv1, i feel that while its fixed atm, a new update can break it again, i need to have alternatives and workarounds, i personally don't want to change all my PC to windows 10 just to share because of how upgrades are coming.

Thanks again to all for taking the time and giving me suggestions,

PS, now to reformat, i made such a big mess of editing registery and moving settings that i feel a reformat is in order to have everything as it comes fresh.

Edited by Abula

Abula

Seems i just jinx myself by speaking too quickly, upon rebooting same issue, now i also get the message from the mapped network drive not able to connect.

But in time it works, like 5min after i got the errors below, the share folder went from red to green and again back to functional, maybe something in windows 10 is not starting right away like a delayed service, that takes some time to work out.

w10networkstillbad.JPG

Edited by Abula

JackoUK

Certainly looks relevant to me. Here are the defaults from the services on 2 of my machines:

Computer Browser (Browser) not installed!
Function Discovery Provider Host (FDPHost) running manual
Function Discovery Resource Publication (FDResPub) not running manual
Network Connections (NetMan)  not running manual
UPnP Device Host (UPnPHost) running manual
Peer Name Resolution Protocol (PNRPSvc) not running manual
Peer Networking Grouping (P2PSvc) not running manual
Peer Networking Identity Manager (P2PIMSvc)  not running manual

It's a wonder any file sharing can be made to work!

Ikon-TNG

I have run into this issue, particularly recently. So far, just starting Function Discovery Resource Publication, and setting it to Automatic, seems to have resolved the issue.

I, too, do not have a Computer Browser service

Function Discovery Provider Host seems to be running on some computers, but not on others. Doesn't seem to make any difference.

Network Connections is running; set to Manual

UPnP Device Host is not running; set to Manual

Peer Name Resolution Protocol is not running; set to Manual

Peer Networking Grouping is not running; set to Manual

Peer Networking Identity Manager is not running; set to Manual

As I stated, the only one I changed is Function Discovery Resource Publication.

pcdoc

Not sure if this helps, but here are my settings and I am not seeing this issue.

Computer Browser (Browser) Running Manual (triggered start)
Function Discovery Provider Host (FDPHost) Not Running manual
Function Discovery Resource Publication (FDResPub) Running manual (Triggered Start)
Network Connections (NetMan)  not running manual
UPnP Device Host (UPnPHost) running manual
Peer Name Resolution Protocol (PNRPSvc) not running manual
Peer Networking Grouping (P2PSvc) not running manual
Peer Networking Identity Manager (P2PIMSvc)  not running manual

Ikon-TNG

In trying to resolve the browsing issue I've run across a number of posts that talk about SMBv1 (including this one). I wonder, pcdoc, if you have it enabled on your system. Could that be the reason some people have a Computer Browser entry and some don't?

pcdoc
21 minutes ago, Ikon-TNG said:

In trying to resolve the browsing issue I've run across a number of posts that talk about SMBv1 (including this one). I wonder, pcdoc, if you have it enabled on your system. Could that be the reason some people have a Computer Browser entry and some don't?

I am sure that is a factor.  By default on older installations, the client (not server) is on by default.  In a new install, it is not.  I have tried it both ways on three of my systems and everything worked.  I included my current setting for SMB 1.0

Old install with client and server disabled.png