RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
peterweb

Server 2016 w/Essential role, cannot backup clients

peterweb

I have been having trouble backing up the three clients on my Server 2016 w/Essentials Role. I have a message about the backup database having errors. I have run the Database Repair feature multiple times, but it always fails to complete. 

I tried deleting all files in the Client Computer Backup folder and running a backup for a client. Still does not complete. All backup related services seem to running on the server and the clients. 

This all started around May 27, 2018.  I have seen posts about Win 10 1803 update causing issues, but one of the clients is still Win 7. Has anyone heard of any other Windows updates that might be causing this?

I am not really server savvy. I got this version for a steal when my old original WHS died. I can follow directions well if anyone has any suggestions for this problem. 

peterweb

Lots of views and no suggestions.  

I just tried removing the Windows Server Backup feature and also removed the Essentials role.  Restarted the server a couple of times. Set up the Essentials role again, restarted the server. Re ran the connector software on the clients and still the backups fail with the Backup service on the server stopping unexpectedly. I'm using Skip Domain on the clients.

I'm using Stablebit Drivepool v 2.2.0.852 BETA, and also updated to 2.2.1.926 release. No difference between the two versions. I note this because I have seen messages around the time of the backup failures in Event viewer about "The IO operation at logical block address 0x11 for Disk 3 (PDO name: \Device\0000002d) was retried."  Disk 3 is my DrivePool disk. 

I recently added a 2 bay LaCie external USB device that I have set up as JBOD, and added the two drives to my Drive Pool . I do not have room in the server to move the drives internal. Could there be issues with backups to external drives? Also possibly related, I see event viewer messages for one of these drives.   "The IO operation at logical block address 0x9ac5d790 for Disk 5 (PDO name: \Device\00000034) was retried."  followed by an error for "The Windows Server Essentials Computer Backup Service service terminated unexpectedly."  I have run chkdsk /r on all drives on the server, including these external drives and no errors found.

Any Suggestions 

peterweb

I've made some progress, finally.

It seems that either Server 2016 w/Essentials, or Stablebit Drive Pool did not like the USB connected external La Cie drives. I shuffled around my data onto other drives, disabled the drive duplication, then removed the La Cie drives from the Drive Pool. Then found a way to install a drive from the La Cie internally on the server. When I tried manually backing up the clients again, all seems to be working. The auto backups also worked the next day. 

I have just turned on the duplication again and will see if all goes well again tomorrow morning for the auto backups.

peterweb

Update

The 2 Win 10 clients are getting backed up just fine. So it seems my main problem was the La Cie enclosure.

Win 7 Home client does not back up. I uninstalled the Connector software, restarted the computer and then tried to reinstall the Connector software.  Part way through the install,  the process stops with a message about the install cannot continue.  Another mystery to check when I get time. 

nrf
Posted (edited)

right. so usually there is a log file with some clues, for example I have had to turn off ipv6 , set the server to be the primary dns server, or just reboot the client first in past episodes. ymmv

fun with windows!

Edited by nrf

peterweb

Yes. I'll be digging into logs and event viewer on the Win 7 client when I get some time. This device is just for when the grandchildren come to visit, to not a priority.

I have restarted that client multiple times before and after trying to install the client connector software. I have disabled IPV6 on all devices on my home network. I do not need it, yet. 

I'll update when I get time to check further.