RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Same CPU and Motherboard

awraynor

I was compiling a wishlist for a new WHS to replace my EX495 and many posts

seem to support the same parts for a HTPC and WHS.

I am looking at:

Intel Core i3-540 Clarkdale 3.06GHz 4MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80616I3540

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

GIGABYTE GA-H55M-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M600 RS-600-AMBA-D3 600W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

I have the SSD drive for the HTPC and kept the drives from my 495 for the new build.

Are these reasonable choices for both scenarios?

Guest no-control

If this was September yes.

Sandybridge CPU & mobos will be released in about a week. My advice is to put off the build until you get some real world feedback on the new systems. If nothing else the above setup will be 25% cheaper once the new components are released into the wild.

I have already purchased the i3 540 and assume it isn't compatible with the new Sandy Bridge motherboards?

I am only lacking the RAM and MB for a complete build for either the HTPC or new WHS.

Which of the two would benefit the most from Sandy Bridge? I understand it has better video performance,

so would the HTPC be a better bet for the new CPU/Mobo?

Guest no-control

HTPC would benefit the most unless your running more than just WHS. I would still sell/return the chip then wait and see what comes out.