RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
jub

Exos 6TB 4Kn HDDs

jub

Hello, i tried to install 4 new harddrives (Seagate 6TB with 4Kn). I cannot see the drives in legacy BIOS nor UEFI, the server hangs when i boot with these drives. I updated today with the newest hpe BIOS Update (..350). 

I tried one disk with the internal SATA Port (where the optical drive belongs to) and on this port its recognised. So, it seems, that the Marvel chip has problems with this disks. 

npapanik

Hi Jub,

I presume you have the Seagate ST6000DM003, correct?

If so and according to its manual: Seagate manual the 4k sectors are emulated to 512 via Seagate. So irrespectively of the controller the drive should work. I cannot believe that Seagate or any other hard disk manufacturer will release a - mainstream - drive which will not work on most controllers... 

jub

Hello,

it was difficult, but i found real 4Kn drives ST6000NM0125 (https://www.seagate.com/www-content/datasheets/pdfs/ent-cap-3-5-hdd-data-sheetDS1882-2-1606US-en_US.pdf). The fact, that one drive 6TB is working with the internal SATA port makes me believe its the Marvell chip. I remember, that i read about a limitation in the specs of the server, 4TB (although its recognized in the internal port). I am looking for another >4TB drive for testing, at the moment, i do not have one. I try to get an answer from hpe, i will post it.

npapanik

Yes, your model is an Enterprise class one, and it does not do the 4Kn to 512 translation. So it is definitely a compatibility problem with the Marvell 8230 controller. I don't think that any other brand will work... Your best bet is to get the Seagate model I mentioned above, which does the 4K to 512 translation natively.

jub

I was contacted by hpe (i did not expected a phone call and email, was a nice conversation). He told me, i should try hp-branded harddrives (they are guaranteed to work :-) and, as it is mentioned in the quick-specs, there are only 4x 4TB drives allowed. I will try a hba card