RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
noober69

Help installing new HDD win 10

noober69

Hi, My ML10v2 has been serving me well for a few years now. I am using all the sata ports, and wanted to add a larger drive: remove the existing 3tb from port 6 and install a new 5tb.  Things have gone crazy.

Whenever I put the new empty drive in, the system including win 10 just see the old drive, with the folders etc which obviously aren't there. I have gone into spp and reconfigured the array (of 1 disk in raid 0) on port 6 so at least the HP part of the system recognizes it as a 5tb drive.

However in windows disk management it insists it is a 3tb drive. I cannot see how to initialize it or get it rescanned on windows. It is blank so there is no issue with it being formatted etc.

I have attempted to initialize the 5tb disk on a different windows 10 machine then drop it into the ml10v2, but that just stops it booting, and HP storage Array tells me the entire 5 disks are unallocated. Pulling the 5tb drive restores order.

Any tips on how I can get the 5tb new drive to work on my system?  

Putting back the old 3tb drive and everything works fine.

Thanks.

noober69

Well I appear to have solved it by installing a m1015 I had lying around. Seems to work fine although I am unsure as to transfer speed.

Given the hdd was working in everything else I suspect either a windows problem or a combo of HP and windows.

The M1015 allows me to delay spinup a few seconds that that should take the load off a bit a I now have 5 3.5" drives loaded up as well as a 2.5" and ssd.

schoondoggy

Is the BIOS and firmware all up to date?

I believe, you need to remove the 3TB drive from the SSA, using the guide below. Once it has been removed from SSA and physically from the system. Then you should be able to add the 5TB drive

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c03326739