RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Podcast 118, What do you think ?

diehard

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

The news was light again.

We talked about Jim's next article on Drobo and moving your user folder over to your WHS.

What did you think of this weeks podcast ?

First, where has this "Linux guy" title come from for me? I am a Windows fan boy, but do like playing around with Linux from time to time. Anyway, show was OK for me. I was at my parents house in Louisiana and was fighting a WHS install on their old Dell 8300 (I now hate Dell) while I was listening to the podcast, plus their internet kept cutting out, which they said was because of the rain. :o

I will need to go back and listen to the recorded version to get all the parts I missed.

I thought it was ok but as you said; news was light.

Like the Linux guy:) I will have to listen back to the podcast because it was still going on after I had to climb the wooden hill

First, where has this "Linux guy" title come from for me? I am a Windows fan boy, but do like playing around with Linux from time to time. Anyway, show was OK for me. I was at my parents house in Louisiana and was fighting a WHS install on their old Dell 8300 (I now hate Dell) while I was listening to the podcast, plus their internet kept cutting out, which they said was because of the rain. :o

I will need to go back and listen to the recorded version to get all the parts I missed.

Calling geek the"unRaid Guy" would be more accurate.

I guess I couldn't argue that. However, my idea of a virtual WHS using NFS shares from unRAID (ie, unRAID managing all the storage) has not been going smooth. Right now I suspect the hardware running my Xenserver, but it is taking some time to narrow down the problem. I can say at this point that this solution is NOT one I could recommend to my parents.

RE: Moving stuff to server and Offline files & Sync Center:

The offline-files functionality (tries) to keep your network share locally available when the network drops. Good idea, but the Microsoft solution is bit basic. If you don't need anything fancy (like merging changed files), it could work just fine.

I must have missed this when I listened to the podcast, but in regards to mapping your my documents folder to the home server, what happens when you take your computer outside your LAN? (such as with a laptop) Doesn't this pretty much make mapping folders to the home server a non starter? Or are people only doing this on desktops within the home? Good podcast BTW. I enjoy hearing about Drobo and other non-WHS stuff.

I must have missed this when I listened to the podcast, but in regards to mapping your my documents folder to the home server, what happens when you take your computer outside your LAN? (such as with a laptop) Doesn't this pretty much make mapping folders to the home server a non starter? Or are people only doing this on desktops within the home? Good podcast BTW. I enjoy hearing about Drobo and other non-WHS stuff.

Well, this is actually the reason why the offline files functionality exists.

Just now got to #118 and wanted to comment on the Documents Redirect subject. There are as many ways to do this as there are stars in the sky, but I still see a need to keep all documents local to the PC and then backup to the server. I also add another caveat to the situation by incorporating Shadow Copies on the local machine as a "quick fix" for a restore for a file, etc. I am a huge fan of Shadow Copies which saves a SysAdmin tons of time in restoring files, or actually having the user correct their own mistake (imagine that).

I do not use a Cloud Storage solution so this is one of the reasons I do what I do. Clients are backed up daily. The redirect option actually goes all the way back to XP and you can push this down via a Group Policy for Domain users. SBS does this automatically.

Just my thoughts.

With regards to storage locations discussed. Our home stores all it's content on the server. Devices that may get taken out of the LAN (ie laptops) have particular folders (documents only pretty much)sync'd using Offline Files within the Microsoft Sync Center. It does everything we need to do. The laptops we have are shared between multiple people each with their own user accounts on each computer, the ability to go to any laptop, logon and have all your files accessible is very beneficial.