RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
stoney73

Issues after upgrading cpu

stoney73

Wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction here. Have just replaced the CPU on my gen 8 microserver. Went according to the video above. Upon booting the server up, there is a clicking sound coming from the main board. Regular as clockwork, and the server isn't posting. Any ideas? I've swapped back to the G1610T CPU, but still the same issue. And just make it interesting, I don't have access to a monitor or keyboard.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zyLJWBZQ4mTQ818o2

Edited by stoney73

schoondoggy

What color is the status light on the front of the server?

• Thanks 1

stoney73
2 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

What color is the status light on the front of the server?

Blue. 

Screenshot_20180527-172258.png

stoney73

For what it's worth, I've now got it connected to a monitor, keyboard and mouse, but it isn't outputting anything either by HDMI or VGA cable.

Edited by stoney73

schoondoggy

What add in cards and drives do you have in it? As for the clicking, did you check cables near the fan?

• Thanks 1

stoney73
12 minutes ago, schoondoggy said:

What add in cards and drives do you have in it? As for the clicking, did you check cables near the fan?

I've reseated all the cables about 6 times. Just have a video card added. Have removed all the drives one by one and all at once, but same result. 

Fan sounds normal for startup routine, but the double beep as the server boots doesn't occur. 

LEDs are out on the motherboard, with two in particular keeping time to the clicking sound. 

Screenshot_20180527-184432.png

Edited by stoney73

schoondoggy

Have you pulled the video card or checked the BIOS to see that it is set to primary?

• Thanks 1

stoney73

I'll pull the video card now. How do I check the bios?

Btw, thank you. 

Edit: have pulled the video card, no difference. Unsure how to check bios as it doesn't show anything on the monitor

Edited by stoney73

schoondoggy

Have you logged into iLo to see if errors are showing up there?

stoney73
5 minutes ago, schoondoggy said:

Have you logged into iLo to see if errors are showing up there?

I have never used ILO, the unit has just been used as a Plex server. It was working just fine until I swapped the CPU over to the Xeon, after that, it hasn't booted properly once. 

On a cold boot, the server switches itself off. When the power button is pressed a second time, the fan starts running at a high level, and the rhythmic clicking sound begins. 

Sorry, I know it isn't much to go on. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Dave
    • Dave
      By Dave
      The SDM R4 is SOLD OUT!

The SDM R4 is a bracket that facilitates mounting two additional 2.5″ drives in a HP MicroServer Gen8. There are also mounting holes for fans across the bottom to help cool RAID/SATA cards. The kit includes all the fasteners needed to install.

With optional Stackers you can run four 2.5″ drives on the SDM R4. The SDM R4 will support four 9.5MM 2.5″ drives. If you want to run four drives on the SDM R4, you need to order SSB stacking brackets listed below. One set of SSB per drive pair, four drives will require two SSB kits. Because of the size of the SDM R4, if you are going to boot your server using the internal USB port, you will need to use a USB stick that is shorter than 1″. For more information on mounting instructions look here: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5960-hp-ms-g8-25-drive-bracket-revision-history-new-rev-35-and-rev-4-info/?p=137922

The SDM R3.5 is in stock and ready to ship!

The SDM R3.5 is a bracket that facilitates mounting one additional 2.5″ drive in a HP MicroServer Gen8. The kit includes all the fasteners needed to install.
      With optional Stackers you can run two 2.5″ drives on the SDM R3.5. The SDM R3.5 will support two 9.5MM 2.5″ drives. If you want to run two drives on the SDM R3.5, you need to order SSB stacking brackets listed below. One set of SSB per drive pair. For more information on mounting instructions look here:  http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5960-hp-ms-g8-25-drive-bracket-revision-history-new-rev-35-and-rev-4-info/?p=137922

SSB-9.5 for 9.5mm drives $10

Schoondoggy Stacking Brackets can be used to stack two 2.5” drives. All screws are included

SSB-7 for 7mm drives $10

SOC-MSG8-R1 kit for 9.5mm optical drives to latch it in place. Screws included $9.

The SDM R4 is SOLD OUT!

• Mark Belanger
      By Mark Belanger
      Greetings,

I'm new to the HPMSG8 world and so far I'm loving it. I have a stock Xeon with 16G of aftermarket memory with iLO patched to 2.70. Next up is adding a RAID card, so I can put my boot SSD on the onboard RAID. I picked up a LSI SAS9211-8i on Amazon, but am struggling to flash it to IT mode on the MicroServer. Is this even possible? Unfortunately, the only other system I have with PCI slots is 32-bit.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

-MB
    • npapanik
      By npapanik
      FYI, I have just installed Windows Server 2019 Standard (Desktop Experience) using the latest (WS2016) HP AMD chipset & VGA driver. Everything is recognised in Device Manager and stable.